Get local news delivered straight to your phone
D.C. is home to so many museums. Our collections house masterpieces from all over the world and across history—and many of them are free to enter. But some people, including Washington City Podcast host Will Warren, sometimes feel like a bit lost in a museum, unsure of how to get the most out of the experience and what to look for in the art. For all you trepidatious museumgoers out there, we have a few tips from regular City Paper art critic Kriston Capps and Warren, who recently went to the National Gallery of Art together:
1. Do some research, or just go.
2. Consider going on a beautiful day; it won’t be as crowded.
3. Look at pieces from up close and far away.
4. Take YOUR time, whatever that means to you.
Support City Paper!
5. Gallery wall text is there for if you don’t know what you’re looking at.
6. The more you look, the more you get out of it.
7. Don’t stress about “getting” a particular piece.
8. Go home when you’re done.
Music for this episode was by Nctrnm and Lee Rosevere used under the Creative Commons license.