Our Audience Growth and Engagement Editor will contribute to key outcomes for both our editorial and business teams—growing an engaged email subscriber and paying membership base, piloting new audience growth and engagement initiatives across our print, web, and social platforms, and assisting with daily editing and newsletter development tasks. This is a highly interdisciplinary role, working in tandem with almost every team at City Paper to inspire casual readers to become loyal readers, and loyal readers to become avid fans and supporters of Washington City Paper.
An ideal candidate will have several (3-5) years of audience development experience in a newsroom, experience with editing and filing stories, REALLY likes collaborating across an organization, and is exceptionally organized.
Ultimately, your guiding purpose will be bringing the perspective of our audience into the decisions that drive our journalism and our business. Responsibilities will include the following:
- Platform Strategy
- Operate our social media channels, with an emphasis on increasing followers and engagement with our impact journalism.
- Help plan and execute engagement campaigns to grow our newsletter subscriber lists with a goal of creating a sustainable and scalable email experience across our organization.
- Develop organic and paid creative promotional campaigns for our newsletters, major enterprise journalism projects, news stories, membership drives and events
- Manage and optimize our SEO strategy to improve search performance
- Evaluate the viability of and integrate new products and services that can serve and engage our audience
- Audience Strategy
- Be creative with new initiatives via market and competitive research to identify, evaluate, and pilot new initiatives that support our audience growth, from reimagining existing platforms to incubating new high-potential opportunities and products
- Identify the relevant audiences and individual outreach targets for each story or project, then develop and execute strategies for engaging them.
- Determine the gaps in our readership among the people and groups most likely to engage with our reporting and develop a plan for expanding those audiences.
- Oversee the onboarding process of our various audiences across all of our current and new platforms
- Work with the editors to train the newsrooms in best practices for social, search, email and other audience development tactics and to build a supportive, engaged loyal community on our own platforms, social platforms, and other platforms
- Develop newsroom dashboards for measuring audience engagement with our journalism
- Partner with editorial leaders to develop programming and distribution strategies for all social platforms, including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
- Support our business, design, and marketing teams with sponsored posts, promotions, ad copy, and creative for special issues, membership campaigns, and new journalism issues.
- Editing and Newsletter Development
- Edit and produce our flagship newsletter, District Line Daily
- Work with newsletter writers to develop ideas and best practices, with the goal of increasing subscribers, engagement, and open rates
- At the discretion of the Editor, edit filed stories from our journalists
- Participate in editorial meetings and idea generation sessions
Base salary starting at $47,500, depending on experience.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org