We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
In this week’s City Paper, you’ll find:
- It’s the EDUCATION ISSUE! Arthur Delaney has the main story, on the efforts of local parents to start their own charter schools. To paraphrase Hillary Clinton: if you do this, you better be in it to win it.
- Huan Hsu discusses the state of the D.C. Tutition Assistance Grant Program. It’s helped thousands of D.C. kids attend college, but graduation rates have foundered.
- Chris Peterson explains what exactly you need to do to fire an incompetent DCPS teacher. Two-page spread flowchart!
- In Loose Lips: James Jones on the impending irrelevance of schools superintendent Clifford Janey.
- In Show & Tell: Jessica Gould on how nightclubs are taking interns who do their promotions work for college credit.
- In Cheap Seats: Dave McKenna on a Roosevelt High student and Ethiopian immigrant who’s on the fast track to sports-photography fame.
- In Young & Hungry: Tim Carman on a pair of neighborhood haunts: Eamonn’s Chipper and the resurrected Stoney’s.
- Plus film, music, theater, books, and more