Get to know D.C. with our daily newsletter
We dive deep on the day’s biggest story and share links to everything you need to know.
Why is it that every police chief feels the need to reorganize their police department? The MPD goes through changes like a snake shedding its skin. Now we have Chief Cathy Lanier‘s sweeping reorganization—-out with the ROCs and in with the Bureaus:
- Assistant Chief, Executive Officer – Assistant Chief Alfred Durham
- Patrol Services and School Security Bureau – Assistant Chief Diane Groomes
- Homeland Security Bureau – Assistant Chief Patrick Burke
- Professional Development Bureau – Assistant Chief Joshua Ederheimer
- Corporate Support Bureau – Mr. Edward Hamilton
- Investigative Services Bureau – Assistant Chief Winston Robinson
- Internal Affairs Bureau – Assistant Chief Peter Newsham
And, frankly, we have no idea how these new Bureaus are different from the old stuff. Didn’t the department already have an Internal Affairs Division, some sort of Corporate Support and Homeland Security wing? And how exactly does this put more cops on the streets?