We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.

I got a call today about all those suspicious fires in Capitol Hill. A fire fighter wanted to address the Capitol Lounge fire that did serious damage to the watering hole’s back patio area and an adjacent card shop on August 9. The fire department had claimed that the blaze was caused by a smoldering cigarette left in a bucket. This fireman says he was there and that the damage—especially to the back awning—just couldn’t be caused by a cigarette.

“You can throw three or four cigarettes in a bucket and leave it,” he explained. “The likelihood of it burning and torching a place? No.”

But he doesn’t believe it was caused by the dumpster being torched. “I remember pushing the dumpster away from the wall. But the dumpster wasn’t a factor,” he says. “The dumpster was a non-factor.”