City Paper is not for tourists
From Chante Brodie on the 4-D listserv:
Traffic Advisory for the Fannie Mae 2008 Walk for the Homeless National Walkathon
The Fannie Mae 2008 Walk for the Homeless National Walkathon will be held on Saturday, November 22, 2008. To facilitate this event, vehicular traffic restrictions must be imposed on all the noted streets downtown, Washington, DC between the hours of 7:00 am and 12:00 pm on the day of the walk. To avoid delays, motorists should avoid the route of the walk and streets that intersect.
The walk will go as follows:
- The participants will start at the Mall near Jefferson Drive, N.W.
- then, the participants will take south on 4th Street, N.W.;
- turn right on Independence Avenue, S.W.;
- left on 15th Street, SW continuing south as it becomes Raoul Wallenberg Place, S.W.;
- Around the Tidal Basin over Inlet Bridge;
- Stay left on Ohio Drive;
- Follow Ohio Drive to West Basin Drive and turn right at intersection of West Basin Drive and Independence Avenue, S.W.;
- Bear left to continue on Independence Avenue to 15th Street, S.W.;
- North on 15th Street, S.W.;
- East on Jefferson Drive crossing 14th Street, N.W.;
- Finishing back on the Mall at 4th Street, S.W.
The Metropolitan Police Department always advises drivers to pay attention when operating any motor vehicle. Motorists are also urged to exercise caution when traveling in the area of any special events due to potential heavy pedestrian traffic. Unexpected changes are always possible in such closures based upon unanticipated or prevailing conditions.
Preregistration for the event costs $15 for “youth” (25 and younger) and $25 for adults. More details here.