Was it because of an argument, robbery, or long-standing beef?

Multiple theories have emerged in the investigation of 18-year-old D.C. Council intern Alonte Sutton‘s murder.  Omare Ishmael Cotton, 28, was arrested Tuesday in connection to the killing. Cotton will be arraigned later today.

According to the AP, witnesses have reportedly floated the story that on Saturday, Sutton was changing the tires on his vehicle when Cotton approached him and asked the teen to give his girlfriend a ride somewhere. Sutton refused, and an argument ensued. Cotton is then said to have left the scene, only to return with a gun a while later. Confronted with the gun, Sutton took off toward a nearby wooded area with Cotton firing after him. Sutton’s body then tumbled into a ravine and was discovered by cops a day later. That account implies that Sutton was killed merely because an exchange of words made temperatures run high.

But sources have told the Examiner another story. One that may imply a longstanding rivalry: “Law enforcement sources said Cotton lived in the neighborhood and had previous run-ins with Sutton. Sources familiar with the investigation said Cotton slashed the tires on Sutton’s car and likely waited for him to come out to fix the tires.”

According to the Examiner‘s sources, when, as planned, Sutton came out to fix his car, Cotton blasted him.

Yet another version of the story says that Cotton and Sutton argued Friday night, leading to the slashed tire scenario.

Could robbery be yet another motive? Cotton has a criminal record, and that record has to do with a 2002 robbery. Cotton was arrested by Prince George’s County cops for a robbery that occurred in July of that year. Online Maryland court documents reveal that Cotton, then recorded as living in the 200 block of Oakwood Street SE, was found guilty of robbery with a dangerous weapon. Cotton had also been charged with possession of a handgun, though he wasn’t convicted of that charge.

Also of note is the fact that the address Cotton resided at in 2002 is maybe a block away from where Sutton was killed.