We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
When temperatures creep near 100 in these parts, the true American idiots are sure to be found. How? They leave their dogs inside a ridiculously overheating car while they go about their day of activities. Because we all know how enjoyable it is to sit in our own car with the windows up in this sweltering weather.
Last time we reported this type of horrific news, it was the Maryland woman who left her dog inside the car while she shopped at Costco. When she came out to find her dead dog, she turned around and returned the pet supplies she just bought. Now we’ve got a Michigan tourist who left his two dogs inside his car while he visited the Holocaust Museum with his daughter. Rosie, an 8-year-old chihuahua, died.
Even worse: The chihuahua was stuck inside a plastic bin meant for storage, not dogs. The second dog, a 15-year-old Beagle mix named Pebbles, survived. Pebbles had the luxury of a normal dog crate to bake in.
The dog’s owner, Kenneth Reiff, was arrested on Monday on animal cruelty charges. His daughter was taken into custody by Child Protective Services.
Photo courtesy of the Washington Humane Society.