The Metro system, once a reliable point of pride for D.C.’s boosters, has had a rough few years: Safety problems, escalator outages, and rising prices have made the subway a regular subject of local griping. At times, it can be hard to keep up with the torrent of unflattering Metro-related scoops. As a public service, Washington City Paper is offering beleaguered riders this irregular round-up of recent media lowlights:
- Five stops will be shut down this weekend, and Metrobus is filled with detours.
- Has the name game finally ended? WMATA releases new map.
- Introducing a Megabus Shuttle to and from Union Station!
- Daylight Savings Time will give riders an extra hour to use transit.
- Halloween sparked a scene involving pepper spray and handcuffs, and a fight at Gallery Place has some riders wondering how safe the stop is.
- Anyone can get a job with Metro!
- The budget’s been raised by an absurd amount.
- Intercom systems fail again.
- Four Orange line managers have been suspended.