City Paper is not for tourists
There we were, just winding down the day, when staffers who have windows noticed that a car parked across the street caught on fire. After calling the fire department, we waited a bit for D.C. Fire & EMS to show up.
The flames crept from the engine to the window The hood blackened. A tire popped and melted.
But within moments the firefighters were on the scene, shooting in water and breaking open windows. No one appeared to be in the vehicle, and hopefully the unfortunate owner has insurance that will cover an apparently spontaneous car fire.
P.S.: No one tell Chief Kenneth Ellerbe the firefighters were wearing non-regulation “DCFD” gear.
Photos by Darrow Montgomery