We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Welcome to Tuesday on what is shaping up to be, holidays aside, Washington’s longest week. Mayor Vince Gray has asked the president to declare D.C. a disaster area.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Washingtonians frustrated with D.C. government. [Examiner]
- Dr. Gridlock says Rush Plus needs work. [Post]
- King George III has his revenge: Maryland towns and counties cancel July 4 celebrations. [Post]
- Andy Griffith has died. [TMZ]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Donkey Kong Kopyright: Is the idea for H Street NE’s new arcade-themed bar Barcade stolen from New York’s arcade-themed bar Barcade? More importantly, is H Street about to see a return to the high-score wars of the 1980s? Elsewhere, Dupont Circle Taylor Gourmet opens.
Ron Machen Saw the Sign, and It Opened Up His Eyes: Feds on the Gray-campaign case have been looking into campaign signs. Two companies that made signs for the campaign have been asked for their records.
Bike Boom: Bike shop owners are reporting an increase in new bike customers inspired by Capital Bikeshare.
Girls, Girls, Girls: Hip-hop artists Raheem DeVaughn and Tabbi Bonney talk about what kind of girl they want in new track “Need a Girl.” Non-ambitious ladies need not apply.
LOOSE LIPS DAILY POLITICS LINKS, by LL columnist Alan Suderman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
ARTS LINKS, by Ally Schweitzer (tips? email@example.com)
- National Community Church in Capitol Hill will also operate as a movie theater. [Post]
- An interview with DJ and U Street Music Hall staffer Morgan Tepper, aka DJ Lxsx Frxnk [On Tap]
- Philip Kennicott reviews Castleton’s Barber of Seville. [Philip Kennicott]
- Famous strip joint/four-star restaurant Stadium Club gets its own reality show. [DCist]
- Everyone hates Pepco. Why not sing about it? [DCist]
FOOD LINKS, by Young & Hungry editor Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Five places to watch the fireworks [Urban Daddy]
- Freaking awesome food trucks [Daily Meal]
- Food porn from U Street’s new British pub, The Brixton [BYT]
- Alexandria’s Port City Brewery could lose 13,000 gallons of beer from power outage. [DCist]
- Beat the heat and get drunk in the process. [Washingtonian]
- An open letter to infamously picky eater Anderson Cooper [Eatocracy]
- Ten must-eat banh mi sandwiches in the Washington area [Eater]
- A guide to food attractions in all 50 states (but not D.C.) [Zagat]