A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Happy Friday. You might want to celebrate with some ice cream delivered from Uber.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- MPD’s internal affairs division investigating cop who allegedly threatened Michelle Obama. [Post]
- D.C.’s the 14th-best city in the world! [Borderstan]
- Meet the new streetcar overlords. [Examiner]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Photo of the Day: Father and Child.
Vinny in Trouble: Vincent Orange has close ties to shadow campaign operatives and received at least $115,000 from Jeffrey Thompson‘s network. LL wonders what the tightening federal investigation means for the at-large councilmember.
Quickfire Challenge: D.C. chefs Bart Vandaele and Jeffrey Jew have both mysteriously disappeared. Are they secretly competing on the next season of Top Chef?
LOOSE LIPS DAILY POLITICS LINKS, by LL columnist Alan Suderman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- First thing’s first: pure genius [Mayorgray]
- Gray for Mayor’s Ward 8 coordinator: “We knew there was another campaign.” Also, Howard Brooks was called “envelop man” because of all the cash he was throwing around [Times]
- Gray’s campaign finance reports were total fiction. Plus, Kwame “Fully Loaded” Brown was right: His was not the only campaign to pay people above the $50 cash legal limit. [AP, Post]
- Bruce Johnson‘s sources: Gray didn’t know anything about the shadow campaign until January, when Harris approached him with invoices. Also, feds looking to talk with shadow campaign field coordinator Vernon Hawkins. [WUSA9]
- Gray: You’ll never take me alive, copper! [Examiner]
- Jeff Thompson is out of the accounting business. [Post]
- Gray calls councilmembers for support, is very mad at Mary Cheh. [Post, NBC4]
- Suburban water utility gave no-bid contract to Thompson associate. [Times]
- “Don’t leave us Fenty” [Post]
- Irv Nathan‘s got Gray’s back, Mendo says people should stop rocking the boat. [WUSA9]
- Problems at DYRS union shop [Times]
- Based solely on this one segment, CNN’s Erin Burnett is a horrible reporter. [CNN]
ARTS LINKS, by Alex Baca (tips? email@example.com)
FOOD LINKS, by Young & Hungry editor Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Peanut Butter Jelly Time food truck serves up BLT sandwiches with peanut butter and red pepper jelly. [Express]
- Oprah Winfrey lunches at District Commons [Reliable Source]
- An apple that doesn’t brown [NYT]
- Five great (not just good) cocktails [Washingtonian]
- Scion to open a sister restaurant called Crios Modern Mexican Restaurant in Dupont. [PoP]
- New restaurants added to DC Restaurant Week, coming August 13-19 [Dining in DC]
- Manny & Olga’s Pizza on Georgia Ave. NW at center of stolen-goods arrests. [DCist]
- Photo gallery of essential vegetarian eats in the D.C. area [Post]