Get to know D.C. with our daily newsletter
We dive deep on the day’s biggest story and share links to everything you need to know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Welcome back, Washingtonians and Washington aficionados. Kojo Nnamdi had a thoughtful piece over the weekend on how D.C. got into this corruption mess, and how to get out.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Man wounded while trying to stop a rare robbery at gunpoint in Dupont Circle. [Post]
- Dana Milbank argues in the Post that the District’s woes stem from one-party rule, before admitting, “I pay little attention to local government.” [Post]
- Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen slams Nats’ Bryce Harper over pine tar on Harper’s bat. [Boston Globe]
- Ritz-Carlton penthouse in West End sells for $5.5 million, a record for an apartment with river views in D.C. [Georgetown Dish]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Gallery of the Day: Eights Things from Thursday.
Pizza Pizza: H Street pizzeria H &pizza has opened. The ampersand might be fancy, but the prices aren’t—-a cheese pizza costs around $7.
Just Say No to Blunts: Mayor Vince Gray hit the streets Friday to warn bodega clerks that selling rolling papers is illegal. “They often appeared to have no idea what the mayor was saying,” writes Alan Suderman, but a District official says operators will pretend not to know English sometimes to avoid dealing with inspectors.
LOOSE LIPS DAILY POLITICS LINKS, by LL columnist Alan Suderman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Gray to aides: I didn’t break any laws [Post]
- Courtland: Suck it twits, Michelle Rhee‘s still gone [Post]
- Kojo: “I still think that Gray is a decent and thoughtful man, but he stands at the center of a political culture that is corrupt and broken.” [Post]
- A. Scott Bolden letter details how Jim Graham tried to steer Metro development contract; Graham says it’s not true [Times]
- DCPS trying to transfer special need student with mental capacity of an 18-month-old to Dunbar, parent says [Examiner]
- Dorothy Brizill hopeful D.C. will emerge from scandals stronger [McClatchy]
- RobMcC: “Gray is almost certainly going to have to resign in disgrace, and possibly soon, but it’s unclear whether he’s fully aware of that fact.” [Post]
- WaPo ed board: “Mr. Gray’s excuses — that he was busy as D.C. Council chairman worrying about the city budget and that he did the best job he could of running a campaign in a short period — fall short.” [Post]
- Dana Milbank says he’d care more about local politics if he could vote in the primaries [Post]
- It would be nice if Gray told us exactly what happened on during January meeting with Jeanne Clarke Harris [Post]
- Gray just like Nixon [Post]
- Irv Nathan not pursing case against gasman Joe Mamo [Post]
- Gray to council: Quit using personal email for city biz (looking at you, Jim Graham) [Examiner]
- “You want to know why every Washington mayor is corrupt? It’s because they are all liberal Democrats.” [Rush Limbaugh]
- Pepco: we try so hard [Times]
ARTS LINKS, by Jonathan Fischer (tips? email@example.com)
- Federal judge rules that Shakespeare Theatre Company’s lawsuit against its landlord will stay in District Superior Court. [Legal Times]
- Is the secret to a “good” Washington TV show a strong female lead? [Post]
- An onstage wedding at Capital Fringe [Post]
- A petition for BET to give Chuck Brown a lifetime achievement award [Change.org]
- Stop torturing your interns, NPR Music! [All Songs Considered blog]
FOOD LINKS, by Young & Hungry editor Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The lowdown on lobster rolls, including Rogue 24‘s reinvented version with dehydrated lobster roe powder in edible Japanese obulato paper [WSJ]
- Former Elisir and Quench mixologist Steve Oshana joins BLT Steak. [Washingtonian]
- Why you shouldn’t jump from one rooftop bar to another [HuffPost]
- Hee Been Asian Bistro in Arlington has closed. [ARLnow]
- Get the Johnny cakes at Kangaroo Boxing Club [DCist]
- Photos of the new game-centric Penn Social [BYT]
- Outrage over McDonald’s as the exclusive French fry purveyor at the Olympic games [NPR]