Get to know D.C. with our daily newsletter
We dive deep on the day’s biggest story and share links to everything you need to know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- If you’re an architect, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton has given you your weekend assignment: Make better buildings. At yesterday’s House hearing on the Height Act, Norton bashed the the District’s downtown architecture, calling it “pedestrian.” [Examiner]
- Scorching weather is here to stay. [WTOP]
- Pepco criticized for cutting trees in MoCo. Cut trees, don’t cut trees—-these guys can’t win. [Post]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Photo of the Day: Man With Trombone.
Working Hard or Hardly Working: In response to a Thursday Post poll saying that a majority of residents want Gray to resign, Gray says he’s working hard. And in related scandal news, Del. Norton is keeping her Jeff Thompson money.
So Much Theater: Exhaustive Fringe blogging continues, with reviews of plays about college and abortion. The abortion play, Mitzi’s Abortion, is a bruising look at the difficulties and realities of getting the procedure, writes Alex Baca.
LOOSE LIPS DAILY POLITICS LINKS, by LL columnist Alan Suderman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Adrian Fenty would win a rematch in a landslide. Jack Evans has early lead in mayoral contest. [Post]
- Jeff Thompson should have just started a super PAC. [Post]
- What’s the point in being a mayor who won’t say anything. [Post]
- Darrell Issa really is the District’s best friend. [Post]
- Board of trade’s Jim Dinegar: Let the chips fall where they may. [NBC4]
- The old distract and deflect defense [Examiner]
- EHN calls out D.C.’s architects. [Examiner]
- Height limit discussed. [Post]
- Gray’s lawyer: Don’t rush to judgement. [Times]
ARTS LINKS, by Alex Baca (tips? email@example.com)
- Hear a new track from The Doozies, “1997.” (We One Track Minded them in January). [Prefix]
- Hear an all-vinyl-everything mix from Protect-U. [Spinner]
- Albert Einstein memorial, yarn-bombed, then unbombed [DCist]
- Much-groaned-about Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial has alternative proposals. [DCist, again]
- An activist-created vegetable garden in Park View gets the warm-and-fuzzy video treatment. [Style Blog]
FOOD LINKS, by Young & Hungry editor Jessica Sidman. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Hey, Mr. Mixologist, did you have to go to college for this? [YouTube via Zagat]
- What Farmers, Fishers & Bakers will look like [WBJ]
- Steal one of Bar Pilar‘s mugs, and they will chase you down [Eater]
- Vote for your favorite food truck in the first annual Trucky Awards [Food Truck Fiesta]
- Secret Lounge and Sports Bar coming to Shaw [PoP]
- Ceviche or Seviche? [Post]
- Mitt Romney loves Jimmy John’s [NPR]