Do you have a plan to vote?
Let us tell you the information you need to register and cast a ballot in D.C.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Too close to Labor Day weekend to think about anything but news:
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Phil Mendelson wants penalties reduced on accidental gun violations. [Examiner]
- Two injured in shooting near Columbia Heights. [Post]
- Garbage men hit with toxic garbage vapor. [Examiner]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Photo of the Day: Running Man.
Black Catter Returns: The Black Cat has a new booker: Candice Jones, who used to work at the club. Jones says she’s ready for an onslaught of local bands desperate to be booked.
Gray Campaign Mysteriously Successful: Vince Gray‘s 2010 campaign won more votes east of the Anacostia than it expected—-almost as if there was another, parallel, or “shadow” campaign working on the same goals.
Noshin’ on Noggin: In the mood for porchetta and pig brains? Logan Circle’s The Pig has you covered, with “creamy, almost spongey” pork brains mixed with pork belly.
LOOSE LIPS, by Loose Lips columnist Alan Suderman. (tips? email@example.com )
- Phil Mendelson wants to revise city’s gun laws to allow for “honest mistakes” by nonresidents. [Examiner]
- GOP platform takes a big dump on D.C. [TNR]
- Judge says taxi-meter installation can proceed. [Post]
- Michael Brown‘s awesome backyard for sale. [Sotheby’s]
- Smooth school opening [DCist]
- False MLK quote yet to be changed. [Times]
- Kid rappers, cute [NBC4]
ARTS LINKS, by Ally Schweitzer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- “At its worst, the [Barbara] Kruger installation [at Hirshhorn] is simply a backdrop, wallpaper for snapshots, superficial fodder for social media or a jumble of bold color leading to the gift shop, where matching tote bags and wallets are available for purchase.” [Post]
- Peter Marks says Kathleen Turner shines in Arena’s Molly Ivins [Post]
- Where does Gwydion Suilebhan sit when one of his plays opens? [Gwydion Suilebhan]
- Black Cat recently hired a new booker, Candice Jones. Here’s an interview of Jones—by one of her friends. [DCist]
- Where to remember Michael Jackson this week [Post]
- New Orleans musicians descend on Arlington’s Bayou Bakery for a concert Sept. 8 [ArlNow]
- OMG: Politics & Prose gets new book tables [Tumblr]
Jessica Sidman is on vacation. Food links will return next week.