We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For this week’s cover, Darrow Montgomery used his phone to capture Washingtonians on their phones.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- National Zoo opening new exhibit featuring North American animals. [WTOP]
- The end is near for Colonel Brooks’ Tavern. [Post]
- 550,000 in D.C. area without health insurance. [Examiner]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Photos of the Day: Left to Our Own Devices.
Cheese Wheel Keep On Turning: Cowgirl Creamery’s top D.C. cheesemonger has a champion palate and a passion for cheese.
Statehood Interrupted: Vince Gray‘s push to get arrested for District autonomy ran into the fact that he might get arrested for something more serious. Alan Suderman explores how the planned big statehood campaign disappeared.
Urban Planning: Cynthia Connolly—-she of the Minor Threat Black Sheep—-has curated a new exhibit exploring urban growth and decay.
LOOSE LIPS, by Loose Lips columnist Alan Suderman. (tips? email@example.com )
- Walmart foes on Georgia Ave. try again. [WBJ]
- Also, see where Walmart’s been spreading its cash. [WBJ]
- Washington Informer: We’re just as much “general circulation” as the Times. [Informer]
- Brown v. Grosso, the one to watch [WAMU]
- So long, Col. Brooks’ Tavern. [Post]
- Anita Bonds: Let Eleanor speak, please. [Informer]
- Post to hold public forum on city leadership with no current city officials. [Post]
- Robberies up 10 percent in D.C. [Times]
- Three DPW workers exposed to hazardous vapors. [Informer]
- Tap water will be available at inauguration. [Post]
ARTS LINKS, by Jonathan L. Fischer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- H Street sitcom creator: “In terms of where they’re from, their background, their ethnicity — we didn’t have any of that. We just started casting.” Sure about that? Also, the show better include that burglar with the bad English accent. [Post]
- “Aw, little munchkin lambie pie – I know you tried.” Why Fringe festivals produce too much Shakespeare [2AMt]
- D.C. photographer Lucian Perkins discusses his contributions to the exhibit “Occupy This!” [Express]
- Video: Pacific Northwest indie-pop patriarch Calvin Johnson performs at Meeps. [All Our Noise]
- Terry Banks of indie-poppers Dot Dash, Julie Ocean, and Glo-Worm guest DJs on Dissonance. [Dissonance]