We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Labor Day’s upon us. But first, some serious news: Petula Dvorak points out that, even though the alleged Dupont Circle sexual assaulter has been caught and charged with “misdemeanor sexual abuse (with aggravating circumstances),” his punishment, if he’s found guilty, will be lighter than if he had broken into a vending machine.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- David Catania wants more details on how property appraisals can be changed without a trace, following Post investigation. [Post]
- Eisenhower Memorial previews come online. [Examiner]
- Initiative 70 proponents dispute Board of Elections’ counting. [Examiner]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Blooming Onion: The owner of Red Onion Records & Books has changed his mind and decided not to close the store. In a Facebook post, Josh Harkavy promises to “mix things up a little bit” at the 18th Street NW shop.
First Anniversary: Chris Murphy, Vince Gray‘s chief of staff, has been in the job for one year. He’s outlasted his predecessor, but the rest of his record’s been mixed.
Cuisine Cruising: Want to know if a restaurant’s good without actually eating there? Take a look at this guide on how to spot a lousy restaurant. If there’s a balsamic reduction on all the dishes and you can’t even Instagram them, just walk away.
LOOSE LIPS, by Loose Lips columnist Alan Suderman. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Remember that big announcement a while back about a printer-cartridge factory in Ward 8? Not likely to happen. [WBJ]
- Stadium Club is popular with the ladies. [Post]
- Judge to decide whether anti-corporate giving initiative will be on ballot next week. [Times, Examiner]
- Leave Walmart alone, obstructionists. [Post]
- Vince Gray says the Washington Informer should be getting a piece of the pie. [WBJ]
- Jonetta: Gray’s joking on campaign finance reform proposal, right? [Examiner]
- Groper charged with misdemeanor. [Post]
ARTS LINKS, by Alex Baca (tips? email@example.com)
- Eames Armstrong on performance, curation, and who’s an artist [DC Performance Art, Pink Line Project]
- “…The Trump International Hotel Washington D.C. will attempt to fit the composition and style of the city where it is located.” Yawn. [Capital Business]
- General tips for and a consideration of queer themes in the D.C. Shorts festival [Washington Blade]
- Fat Trel, often shirtless, in a shirt [Twitter]