We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Metro chaos ahead this weekend, as the Red Line won’t operate in five stations—-Metro Center, Union Station, Gallery Place, Judiciary Square, and Farragut North.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- D.C. West Nile fatality was elderly man. [Post]
- Sixty percent of DCPS teachers rate their principals “ineffective” or “minimally effective.” [Examiner]
- Jack Evans and Mark Plotkin talking with Puerto Ricans about joint statehood strategy. [Times]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Photo of the Day: Woman at Bus Stop.
Feeding Frenzy: American University professor Adrienne Pine breastfed her baby during a class, and the school paper tried to write about it. Pine’s not happy.
Phallic Symbol Fumes: Local Burning Man enthusiasts pulled off the ultimate tribute to our first president by building a replica of the Washington Monument, then shooting flames out of it. Pictures galore.
Orange Gets Juiced: FBI agents, apparently not sick yet of investigations of D.C. politicos, are now investigating Councilmember Vincent Orange‘s campaign.
Butcher Kills: Bill Butcher, the man behind Alexandria’s Port City Brewing Company, spoke Wednesday at the Democratic National Convention. He met Colorado governor and fellow brewer John Hickenlooper, but alas, no Barack Obama.
LOOSE LIPS, by Loose Lips columnist Alan Suderman. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Vince Gray asks DNC to work with D.C. [Post]
- Gray likes the chances of the Nats playing in the World Series (possibly against Orioles) but doesn’t think the Redskins will make the playoffs. [Post]
- New statehood plan: Team up with Puerto Rico. [Times]
- Jonetta: “the unfairness and illogical nature of the city’s election laws can’t be ignored” [Examiner]
- Kenyan McDuffie wants DC Water to step up its game, prevent flooding. [Examiner]
- Michael Brown will have to announce more campaign spending than previously announced. [Post]
- Why do pols hire Fred Cooke Jr.? “It’s not rocket science.” [Washingtonian]
- Chuck Thies: Maybe Marion Barry shouldn’t be D.C.’s posterchild. [NBC4]
ARTS LINKS, by Alex Baca (tips? email@example.com)
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- How D.C. taco tortilla sizes stack up [Post]
- Is this real life? Bachelor Pad star to open D.C. restaurant with Cava chef. [Eater]
- Pizzaiolo Anthony Pilla pulls out of Ghibellina and joins H &pizza team. [Hill is Home]
- The Board Room opening in Dupont as soon as this weekend. [Urban Daddy]
- Which vendors will be open for Union Market‘s debut this weekend? [Washingtonian]
- Catoctin Creek distillery tripling the size of its operation. [WBJ]
- The 10 best coffee shops [The Plate]
- Beer from Virginia’s Blue Mountain Brewery will soon be available in D.C. [DC Beer]