A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Wearing a blue button-down shirt? You could be a serial killer. In this week’s cover story—-available in conveniently located boxes across the city—-Franklin Schneider wonders why you aren’t wearing second-hand clothes, and what that says about you.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- The Washington [Racist Team Name], renamed. [City Desk]
- Man pleads guilty to plan to blow up Saudi ambassador in D.C. restaurant. [Times]
- Mayor Vince Gray says he wants CBE reform. [LL]
- Gallaudet wants anti-gay marriage opponents to take down ad featuring school. [WJLA]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Photo of the Day: Jobsite.
Say It Ain’t So, Catania: How can Councilmember David Catania, who enjoys a reputation as an outspoken ethics advocate, work for a city contractor?
Car Barn Clash: In the fight over the Spingarn streetcar barn, as in so much else, the District history is moving in circles.
Night of the Gun: Storied D.C. event space the Warehouse Loft is closing after a shooting.
LOOSE LIPS, by Loose Lips columnist Alan Suderman. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Eleanor Holmes Norton writes saucy tweets, deletes them. [City Desk]
- Department of Health Care Finance tries to reassure Jeff Thompson‘s 110,000 Medicaid clients that all will be well. [WBJ]
- Irv Nathan’s office getting less and less transparent, now won’t release opinion on budget autonomy. [Times]
- Vince Gray not sounding keen on reducing speed camera fines. [WTOP]
- Gray promises CBE overhaul. [Times]
- Ethics board will open to public next month. [Examiner]
- Gray wants D.C. to be senior-friendly. [Informer]
- “What an irony — a generation raised on contempt for the ticky tacky little boxes in the suburb grows up to promote ticky tacky microunits in the city.” [DC Watch]
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Housing Complex columnist Aaron Wiener. (tips? email@example.com )
- The presidential candidates gave as much attention to cities as to global warming—which is to say, zero. [GGW]
- Mayor Gray to advocates of reducing speeding fines: Where’s the money? [WJLA]
- A cool visualization of Bikeshare users emanating from a Nats game. [CaBi]
- Can fake people deter real thieves? One Dutch city thinks so. [Atlantic Cities]
- On CBEs, Loose Lips‘ wish is the mayor’s command. [LL]
- Big new neighbors for the 9:30 Club? [New Columbia Heights]
- D.C. needs to ramp up its housing production. [GGW]
- There’s still more planning to be done on the Hine School project. [DCmud]
- Smaller commercial tenants: the new normal? [Globe St.]
- The housing recovery would collapse without government support. [HousingWire]
- Hey, D.C. Council, we could use some giant street pillows, too! [Atlantic Cities]
- Today on the market: Mansion in need of TLC
ARTS LINKS, by Caroline Jones (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Another one bites the dust: While the Hirshhorn Museum continues to mull the future of the Bloomberg Ballon project, the chairman of the museum’s board of trustees, J. Tomilson Hill, has stepped down. Hill’s resignation comes less than a year after another board member, Barbara Levine, resigned. [Post]
- The SUPAFRIK pop-up shop and gallery is coming to H Street, NE! Activities kick off tonight with a fashion show and performance by singer/songwriter Wayna and continue through the weekend. [Prince of Petworth]
- People’s District wants you in bed. The minds behind the local history blog will take over the Room & Board store on 14th Street, NW and regale guests with mysterious true tales of crime and bribery. [People’s District]
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- The best breakfast and brunch restaurants in D.C. [Washingtonian]
- Tom Sietsema‘s fall dining guide is here. [Post]
- Woman sues Chop’t after allegedly finding bloody Band-Aid in her salad. [City Desk]
- Will New York’s Dos Caminos take over the former Mie N Yu space in Georgetown? [Eater]
- Five best Southern restaurants in D.C. [Zagat]
- Run a half marathon with a half-smoke. [DCist]
- Blackbyrd will become Vietnamese Restaurant and Pho House. [PoP]