We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
Success! You're on the list.
Whoops! There was an error and we couldn't process your subscription. Please reload the page and try again.
As of 10 this morning, the District’s Department of Human Services has opened five emergency shelters around the city ahead of Hurricane Sandy.
- North Michigan Park Recreation Center (Ward 5), 1333 Emerson St. NE
- Guy Mason Recreation Center (Ward 3), 3600 Calvert St. NW
- Deanwood Recreation Center (Ward 7), 1350 49th St. NE
- Bald Eagle Recreation Center (Ward 8), 100 Joliet St. SW
- Emery Recreation Center (Ward 4), 5701 Georgia Ave. NW
In a message about the shelters, the District’s Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency warns to only leave shelter if necessary.
Photo via NOAA