Sign up for our free newsletter
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Well, back to the grind—-and in January, no less. If you drank, hope you drank some water, too—-and if not, that you have a date with some Powerade.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Trouble at D.C. Jail oversight board. [Post]
- Wilson Building crowd goes wild when the president goes by. [Post]
- Protesters hit Chinatown. [Times]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Photos of the Day: Inauguration 2013, Outside the Perimeter.
Fear and Loathing on the Mall: Getting closer to the inauguration from the mall requires cunning, willpower, and disregard for social norms.
Mayor With a Sign: Discussion question: Did Mayor Vince Gray look ridiculous holding a wordy sign supporting voting rights during the inaugural parade, or is it nice to have a mayor willing to look silly in front of the country if it’ll help get the vote?
Chefs Celebrate the Inauguration: The Chefs Ball drew celebrity restauranteurs and a Modern Family cast member.
Onion Gets New Skin: Red Onion has a new sign.
LOOSE LIPS, by Loose Lips columnist Alan Suderman. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Tommy Wells expected more from Joe Biden. [Examiner]
- Examiner says President Barack Obama “repeatedly snubbed” the District and that Mayor Vince Gray was “irked.” [Examiner]
- Gray says he wants to hear some D.C.-specific language in State of the Union. [WAMU]
- What’s up with Phil Mendelson putting Jim Graham on the CYITC board, asks Jonetta. [Examiner]
- D.C. Auditor finds missing paperwork on CBE projects. [Examiner]
- District pols still ga-ga over the presidential limos new tags. [Times]
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Housing Complex columnist Aaron Wiener. (tips? email@example.com )
- A good roundup of the madness that was D.C. on inauguration day. [DCist]
- Metro blames yesterday’s crowding on the inauguration tickets. [Post]
- Vince Gray takes the opportunity to plug democracy for D.C. [Loose Lips]
- Where the presidents lived before their inaugurations [UrbanTurf]
- CNN discovers the hidden D.C. [CNN]
- Think D.C. real estate’s expensive? Be glad you’re not in Norway. [NY Times]
- A walk through the Dupont Underground. [Curbed]
- Today on the market: Van Ness with a view
ARTS LINKS, by Ally Schweitzer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Washington Post‘s classical-music critic, Anne Midgette, on behalf of classical-music fans, to President Obama: “We appreciate you taking an interest in our field. Please continue to notice this music, and we promise to hold our tongues for the next four years about whether or not we agree with your approach.” [Post]
- Ballou and University of Maryland marching bands performed during yesterday’s inaugural parade [DCist]
- The inauguration soundtrack prescribed by readers of the Post‘s Classical Beat readers [Post]
- Watch: Lupe Fiasco get booted offstage at The Hamilton after reportedly performing a dreary anti-Obama song for 30 minutes [The Atlantic]
- Videos of inauguration performances by Beyoncé, Kelly Clarkson, James Taylor, and the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir—all in one place. [DCist]
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- Oyamel is expanding next door to include 60 to 80 more seats. [Eater]
- Matthew Fisk is the new beverage manager at Ripple. [Washingtonian]
- Food trucks on the decline? [ARLnow]
- Running of the Balls [Post]
- What President Barack Obama ate for lunch on inauguration day [DCist]
- Baking an inaugural cake [Obama Foodorama]