We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up: To get District Line Daily—or any of our other email newsletters—sent straight to your mailbox, click here.
Snowstorm mania! While he wait to see whether the “snowquester” will be worth the hype, here’s what’s closed and where to eat and drink during the storm.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Howard students sue over not getting into a sorority. [City Desk]
- The storm has arrived. [Post]
- Gun insurance headed to D.C.? [Examiner]
- MPD has to call in Prince George’s to transport injured cop. [Examiner]
- Metro operators save another attempted jumper. [Examiner]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Photo of the Day: Monday, Three Things.
Unsolicited Advice: If Mayor Vince Gray is as serious about fixing the city’s contracting program as he says he is, Loose Lips has some ideas.
Raise the Roof: Congressional overlord Darrell Issa made an appearance at an architect panel to talk about the Height Act.
Don’t Leave Us, Fedsy: Speaking of Gray, the mayor wants the FBI to move to Poplar Point.
LOOSE LIPS, by Loose Lips columnist Alan Suderman. (tips? email@example.com)
- D.C. government and schools closed today.
- Jeff Thompson loses appeal, feds can now start diving into his records. [Post]
- D.C. ambulance not available for injured D.C. cop. [Examiner]
- Two years ago today, Sulaimon Brown kicked off federal probe. [NBC4]
- Vincent Orange wants to spend city cash on shadow legislators and lobbying Congress. [DCist]
- Che Brown sentenced to three months in prison. [Post]
- David Grosso, open data fan. [DCist]
- Surprise. The company the city wants to buy Thompson’s Chartered Health Plan is one of the recommended winners of Medicaid contract. [WBJ]
- CYITC still trying to reinvent itself after Harry Thomas Jr. debacle. [Post]
- Yesterday’s legislative meeting grab bag. [Post]
- Ten acres? Does the Gray administration really want to keep the FBI? [HC]
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Aaron Wiener (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Everything is closed today. And the world is laughing at us. [dc.gov]
- D.C. home prices rise slower than national average. [WBJ]
- GSA gets 10 proposals to redevelop Federal Triangle South. [Post]
- Southwest gets its first new apartment building in decades. [SWTLQTC]
- Baby boomers could spark the next housing crisis. [Atlantic Cities]
- Greater Greater Education launches. [GGW]
- Virginia congressmen want to look into Metro expansion into NoVa exurbs. [DCist]
- Today on the market: The rare one-bed, two-bath
ARTS LINKS, by Ally Schweitzer (tips? email@example.com)
- Arlington County slashes Artisphere funding. [WTOP]
- Kennedy Center announces its 2013-14 season. [Kennedy Center]
- The Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History adds a gem-laden, 77-carat brooch to its collection. [AP via WTOP]
- “Searching for the Seventies: The Documerica Photography Project” comes to National Archives. [Post]
- An Adams Morgan mural is in dire need of repairs. [Hola Cultura]
- More about Mingering Mike and how the outsider artist’s work eventually wound up in the Smithsonian [Around the Mall]
- Dianogah’s Jay Ryan interviews Fugazi/Deathfix member Brendan Canty [Chicago Reader]
- How the elaborate costumes for Arena Stage’s Mary T. & Lizzy K. were made [Post]
- Astra Via releases a new video. [Pink Line Project]
- U Street Music Hall turns three this week, and DJs Chris Nitti and Lxsx Frxnk have crafted a Spotify mix for the occasion. [Post]
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Where to drink by the fire [Washingtonian]
- Tom Sietsema and Joe Yonan go in search of vegetarian fine dining. [Post]
- Estadio is one of the most underrated restaurants in America, apparently. [Eater]
- What’s wrong with the word “zesty” in food writing, eh? [Hungry Lobbyist]
- Eight unusual must-try dishes in D.C. [Zagat]
- Trolley Pub visits Arlington ahead of launch. [ARLnow]
- Food porn of new menu items at Boveda [BYT]