We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tomorrow, elephants will walk the streets downtown on their way to the Verizon Center for the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- GPS data ties North Capitol shooting suspect to area of the crime. [Examiner]
- Metro considers ditching carpet. [Examiner]
- Why does the Chesapeake have so many intersex fish? [Post]
- Congress getting involved in Eisenhower Memorial debate. [Examiner]
- $80 million Arlington aquadrome, so amazing you can’t believe it will be built, is being built. [Examiner]
- Drunken teen’s mistake ends in tragedy in Loudoun. [Post]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Photos of the Day: Bus Stop.
Phancy Pharmacy: The Chinatown Walgreens will be so fancy, you won’t even believe it.
Red State Scare: Councilmember Anita Bonds is rallying supporters over Republican opponent Pat Mara being, well, a Republican.
LOOSE LIPS, by Loose Lips columnist Alan Suderman. (tips? email@example.com)
- IG investigating fire department fleet; ladder trucks didn’t get recommended yearly tests “due to lack of reserves.” [Fox5]
- What to do with UMC? [Post]
- Michael Brown gets most votes in low turnout Ward 8 Dems straw poll. [Post]
- Suspect in NoMa shooting wearing GPS device. [Examiner]
- A whole column about Keely Thompson and not one mention of Jim Graham. [Post]
- Overhaul at fire department needed. [Post]
- City officials unwelcoming to successful charter school. [Post]
- Anti-SLAPP law to be tested. [Post]
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Aaron Wiener (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Boy, Canal Park sure is great. [Post]
- D.C.’s new sister city couldn’t be more appropriate. [DCist]
- Architect group stands up for Frank Gehry‘s maligned Eisenhower memorial design. [WJLA]
- What spring holds in store for the housing market [UrbanTurf]
- 2013 Bike DC ride can’t secure permits, won’t happen. [WABA]
- The layout that attracts homebuyers [Post]
- Liquor license moratorium gets frosty reception at Logan Circle ANC. [Borderstan]
- Today on the market: Suburban living in Brookland
ARTS LINKS, by Ally Schweitzer (tips? email@example.com)
- American Institute of Architects will “vigorously oppose” bill that slaps down the Gehry-designed Eisenhower Memorial. [WJLA]
- Chicago and Honolulu jockey for President Obama‘s presidential library. [WJLA]
- Shakespeare Theatre plumps up its 2013-14 season. [Post]
- Cathy Lanier spotted at Pink concert—reportedly with teens. [Post]
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ten terrible restaurant uniforms [Zagat]
- Meet the Hungarian embassy chef. [Eater]
- Cafe Assorti closes in Rosslyn. [ARLnow]
- A complete guide to doughnuts in D.C. [Girl Meets Food]
- A yogurt for men [NPR]
- Table in Shaw is now taking reservations online. [PoPville]
- Neighbors complain about Graffiato‘s Industry Takeover Nights. [DCist]