Sign up for our free newsletter
Free D.C. news, delivered to your inbox daily.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
All the lamppost signs, candidate forums, and hurt Twitter feelings come down to this: today’s special election for a D.C. Council at-large seat and the budget autonomy referendum. Find your polling place and consider WCP‘s endorsements.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Homeless gear up for election. [Post]
- Office of Campaign Finance finishes its report on Mayor Vince Gray‘s 2010 campaign, but won’t release it yet. [Examiner]
- Metro doesn’t respond to Council questions about employee perks. [Examiner]
- Two out of 13 Metro board members commute daily on system. [Examiner]
- Potholepalooza is here—-here’s how to get your pothole filled. [NBC 4]
- Track work on four Metro lines this weekend. [Examiner]
- Advocates want interpreters at D.C. pharmacies. [Examiner]
- Man sexually assaults sleeping woman in Centreville. [NBC 4]
- New concert venue coming to White Flint. [Arts Desk]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Photo of the Day: Teens.
Black, White, and Green: Washington’s population is becoming whiter, but the city’s racial disparity in marijuana law enforcement persists.
Douglas Dominance: Douglas Development is gobbling up even more of Chinatown.
Getting Crabby: One Maryland state senator is still trying to make soft-shell crab sandwiches his state’s official sandwich.
LOOSE LIPS, by Loose Lips columnist Alan Suderman. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Today is the day, go vote. Polls open at 7 a.m., close at 8 p.m. [Post]
- Cathy Lanier sounds paranoid about sensitive documents being left at abandoned police station, says someone is trying to set her up. [Fox5]
- Post says to vote for Pat Mara, in case you missed their three other endorsements this election cycle. [Post]
- Jonetta Rose Barras reminds you to vote for Mara as well. [Examiner]
- AFL-CIO’s Jos Williams warns Vince Gray to pay firefighters $36 million in overtime. [Examiner]
- OCF finishes investigation of Gray’s 2010 campaign, not releasing findings because of ongoing federal investigation. [Examiner]
- Advocates question mayor’s plan to reduce number of special education students at private schools. [Post]
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Aaron Wiener (tips? email@example.com)
- Vote today! My editors recommend Elissa Silverman and “Yes” on Amendment 8. [WCP]
- Where the candidates stand on housing. [UrbanTurf]
- And where they stand on bike lanes and development. [GGW]
- Former mayor pitches current mayor on infrastructure bank. [WBJ]
- The American dream tilts toward renting. That’s a good thing. [Atlantic Cities]
- Optimism, but not much news, on a D.C. United stadium. [Post]
- Neighbors rally behind Half Street Market. [UrbanTurf]
- Vulture investors eye old people’s homes to tear down. [Post]
- Today on the market: Wesley Heights condo
ARTS LINKS, by Ally Schweitzer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Lincoln Theatre has selected a new operator, but the District won’t disclose who it is yet. [Arts Desk]
- AMC Theatres wants to open more D.C. area movie theaters. [Washington Business Journal]
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum celebrates its 20th anniversary. [Post]
- Drama hung over the Corcoran’s annual gala last weekend. [Washingtonian]
- Mitchell and Emily Rales plan to build a second story on their private Glenstone museum in Potomac, Md. [Washington Business Journal via New York Times]
- The Make-Up rocked Coachella, says Brendan Canty. Should we point out that his brother is in the band? [DCist]
- MC Hammer eats a portobello sandwich at The Hamilton. Yup. [Post]
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- 11 must-try guilty pleasure dishes in D.C. [Zagat]
- Blue Duck Tavern offers barrel-aged vinegars. [Washingtonian]
- D’Vines launches growler fills. [DC Beer]
- Spike Mendelsohn‘s approach to grocery shopping: Follow a pretty girl and buy what she does. [Men’s Fitness]
- Where to eat ramps [Eater]
- La Frontera Cantina in Dupont becomes Ultimo Lounge. [PoPville]
- What does Umami Burger have planned for D.C.? [Post]