Get our free newsletter
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Former at-large councilmember Michael Brown told supporters yesterday that he’ll plead guilty after being caught in a federal bribery sting. The news, first reported by Channel 9’s Bruce Johnson, gets worse today on Loose Lips: Sources tell Washington City Paper that Brown has provided law enforcement officials with information about the ongoing federal probe into Mayor Vince Gray‘s 2010 campaign—-and that Brown took illegal campaign contributions from alleged mayoral shadow campaign financier Jeff Thompson.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Frager’s picks up the pieces. [City Desk]
- Marion Barry accepted more than $6,000 in gifts from city contractors. [Loose Lips]
- Man who ran teen prostitution ring to be sentenced in Alexandria today. [Post
- Fairfax County wants $41 million in Virginia funds to help pay for its share of the Silver Line. [Examiner]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Leather Heaven: Iconic gay bar The D.C. Eagle won’t be able to stay in its Mount Vernon Square home much longer, but it isn’t going away: Someone has to carry forward the traditions of leather daddies, assless chaps, biker clubs, and good vibes.
Grey Cat: The Black Cat turns 20 this year, and the 14th Street NW rock club is celebrating with reunions of a bunch of D.C. bands you loved in the ’80s and ’90s.
Lane Violation: City Paper Housing Complex columnist Aaron Wiener was doored yesterday while biking home from work. He’s OK! But after many hours in the emergency room, he reflects on what bikers—-and D.C.—-can and can’t do about such collisions.
RFK, A-OK: Decay notwithstanding, Robert F. Kennedy Stadium is a treasure—-especially if you love soccer.
Ruby Can’t Fail: Meet Ruby Corado, one of D.C.’s most persistent, influential transgender activists.
LOOSE LIPS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ex-Councilmember Michael Brown tells supporters he’ll plead guilty to federal bribery charges. [NBC 4, Post, WUSA9 LL, Examiner, WAMU]
- D.C. Council and mayor clash over licenses for undocumented immigrants. [Examiner]
- Marion Barry takes $6,800 in gifts from city contractors. [Post]
- Crime up in D.C. elementary schools. [Examiner]
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Aaron Wiener (tips? email@example.com)
- Pretty amazing 1970s Metro promo video. [InTheCapital]
- Another apartment building’s coming to NoMa. [UrbanTurf]
- And plans are finalized for a big building to the north in Eckington. [bloomingdale]
- Old Post Office lease is lucrative for the feds. [WBJ]
- Are a good National Mall and good buildings alongside it mutually exclusive? [BeyondDC]
- A recap of last night’s contentious McMillan meeting. [Chirpstory]
- The logic behind Tommy Wells‘ RPP bill. [GGW]
- Mapping America’s libraries and museums. D.C.’s predictably dense. [Atlantic Cities]
- RGIII‘s like you and me: forced out of home because owner wanted to sell. [HuffPost DC]
- Today on the market: Mass. Ave. condo
ARTS LINKS, by Ally Schweitzer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- Where to get free (or almost free) doughnuts today [Post]
- Father’s Day gifts for the foodie dad [Washingtonian]
- Del Frisco’s Grille eyeing the D.C. suburbs for its next location. [Eater]
- D.C.’s top five cheap eats [Urban Turf]
- Five things to get at brunch at Kangaroo Boxing Club [Girl Meets Food]
- Game of Thrones finale watching snacks [BYT]