Do you have a plan to vote?
Let us tell you the information you need to register and cast a ballot in D.C.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mayor Vince Gray sent a letter Tuesday to President Barack Obama, House Speaker John Boehner, and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid demanding an immediate meeting with them so he can explain why Congress must pass emergency legislation exempting D.C. from the shutdown.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- The Brookland Metro station on the Red Line topped WMATA’s list of most dangerous stations, with 44 incidents reported between January and August 2013. [News4]
- Former professional boxer and founder of a D.C. boxing youth program Keely Thompson is being sentenced today for stealing thousands of dollars in government grants to fund his gambling habit. [Washington Post]
- Some District nonprofits are reducing services and furloughing workers because their contracts and Medicaid reimbursements aren’t being paid during the shutdown. [AP]
- The District’s second largest medical provider to low-income residents, Mary’s Center, may not survive the shutdown if it doesn’t end soon. [City Desk]
- Although the the government shutdown furloughed investigators at the National Transportation Safety Board, WMATA is conducting its own independent investigation into what caused the work accident last weekend that killed a contractor on the Red Line tracks. [WAMU]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Mac-A-No-Go: If you eat the delicious macaroni at Kangaroo Boxing Club, finish it at the restaurant because the dish doesn’t hold up well as leftovers.
Transformer Space: A space where members can access robotic and electronics equipment, event space, meeting rooms, and a lounge is opening the on second floor of the Boilermaker Shops in the Capitol Riverfront’s Yards project.
Good Vibrations: A Michigan–based sex toy company, PriveCo, is offering free vibrators to 200 furloughed government workers everyday until the shutdown ends.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Vince Gray wants to meet with Barack Obama, John Boehner, and Harry Reid over the shutdown. [Times, Post]
- Gray considers tapping $513 in additional shutdown funds. [Post]
- Jack Evans wants in on budget meetings. [NBC 4]
- MoCo, PG County, and D.C. Council Chair Phil Mendelson are announcing a $11.50 minimum wage push this morning. [Times]
- Politically connected boxing coach Keely Thompson set to be sentenced this morning. [Post]
- Post ed board tells the inspector general to share with the ethics board. [Post]
- Commission wants $180 million more in school funding. [Post]
- The shutdown can’t stop the Metro death investigation. [WAMU]
- D.C. health center on the ropes during the shutdown. [City Desk]
HOUSING COMPLEX LINKS, by Aaron Wiener (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- D.C. can’t pay Metro due to shutdown; could start affecting service. [Post]
- But we can pay $110,000 to renovate Phil Mendelson‘s office. [LL]
- D.C.’s most dangerous Metro station is … Brookland. [NBC4]
- Shutdown takes a bite out of tourism. [WJLA]
- And out of medical service to poor people. [City Desk]
- Fundrise’s first residential project has a much higher buy-in. [UrbanTurf]
- There are some crazy buyers and sellers in this housing market. [HuffPost DC]
- Today on the market: McLean Gardens duplex apartment
ARTS LINKS, by Ally Schweitzer (tips? email@example.com)
- D.C. Film Office says the government shutdown is screwing with movie productions in town. [Washingtonian]
- Watch Dismemberment Plan cover Heart‘s “Barracuda.” [AV Club]
- Tickets for fallFringe go on sale. [Post]
- Misun drops a new song. [All Things Go]
- 14th Street NW mural painted over. [Post]
- Betty White gets her own wax statue at Madame Tussauds. [AP]
- A report from the PEN/Faulkner gala… [Post]
- …which appeared to be a politics-free zone this year. [Post]
- A map of cool public art in D.C. [Curbed]
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- How to raise an adventurous eater [Post]
- A guide to D.C.’s best doughnuts [Thrillist]
- Five things to try at Sophie’s Cuban Cuisine [Girl Meets Food]
- Everything you need to know about soup dumplings [Eater]
- Food trucks raise $1,700 for Navy Yard shooting victims [DCist]
- Blue Sea Cajun Seafood and Bar coming to Shirlington. [ARLnow]
- Is Pho Bar and Grill on H Street NE closed for good? [PoPville]