Do you have a plan to vote?
Let us tell you the information you need to register and cast a ballot in D.C.
We can't make City Paper without you
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Although Pigskins owner Dan Snyder has refused to change his team’s name, he and team officials have reportedly made more than a dozen unpublicized trips to Indian country to see firsthand the poverty and struggles facing some tribes. The team may soon make a “financial gesture” to address some of these issues.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- A man was robbed at gunpoint on Metro Friday evening and forced to ride five stops before withdrawing cash from ATMs near the Waterfront Metro station. [Post]
- People who want Obamacare coverage by Jan. 1 must enroll by today. [WJLA]
- D.C. Public Schools is purchasing $10 million worth of musical instruments, art supplies, and science lab equipment. [Post]
- The warm weather this weekend was record-setting. [News4]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Encyclopedia D.C.: ICYMI, it was good, it was bad, there was definitely artisanal ice: Pick up our latest issue to flip through our annual Encyclopedia of D.C. and relive the year that was.
Ridin’ Pricey: Warning to all potential New Year’s Eve Uber riders: There will be a price surge.
Lofty Goals: Mayor Vince Gray declared that D.C. will be the hippest city in the United States.
LOOSE LIPS’ Will Sommer is on vacation. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Aaron Wiener. (tips? email@example.com)
- How Metro’s loop proposal could be improved to allow easier transfers [GGW]
- A thorough analysis of Vincent Orange‘s superdome/waterpark proposal [Commissioner Brian Flahaven]
- A map of where parking tickets have been issued downtown [DDOT]
- Union Market developer lands $1.5 billion investment. [Post]
- Why D.C. should take a shared-equity approach to affordable housing [GGW]
- Law firm seeks competitive advantage by escaping downtown. [Post]
- Video: How not to get killed or maimed by the streetcar. [DDOT]
- Today on the market: Bloomingdale 1BR condo—$350,000
ARTS LINKS, by Jonathan L. Fischer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A remembrance of Half Japanese drummer Rick Dreyfuss, who brought his vast musical network together [Post]
- The last thing you have to read about D.C. Cab, probably ever [DCist]
- Macaulay Culkin‘s pizza-themed Velvet Underground tribute band is coming to the Black Cat. [Washingtonian]
- Spike Jonze on his new movie, Her, plus the influence of punk rock and his Bethesda youth. [Post]
- Newdust begins counting down its tracks of the year [Newdust]
YOUNG & HUNGRY’S Jessica Sidman is on vacation. (tips? email@example.com)