A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
As 2013 comes to a close, Washington City Paper writers round up this year’s winners and losers in real estate and housing development; restaurants, D.C. politics; photography; theater; and local music.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- The three major health insurance providers in the District will accept premiums as late as Jan. 15 from customers seeking coverage starting Jan. 1. [AP]
- Four banks were robbed in the D.C. area over a three-day span. [Post]
- A man dressed as Santa was shot on Christmas Eve by a pellet gun while delivering toys in Southeast D.C. [News4]
- Jerry A. Moore III, a prominent D.C. land-use and government-affairs lawyer, was named a chairman of Mayor Vince Gray‘s re-election campaign. The campaign is expected to announce three more chairs in the days leading up to the campaign’s official launch on Jan. 11. [Post]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Going Orange: The five strangest parts of Vince Orange‘s RFK Stadium plan.
Happy Festivus: Sen. Rand Paul celebrated Festivus on Twitter, and took a jab at D.C. parking.
LOOSE LIPS’ Will Sommer is on vacation. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Aaron Wiener. (tips? email@example.com)
- D.C. United could be spared taxes in stadium deal. [Post]
- Energy Department headed to The Portals in Southwest. [WBJ]
- NCPC’s plan for overhauling 10th Street SW [SWTLQTC]
- Architects weigh in on the Height Act. [GGW]
- Jim Graham‘s not very optimistic about Howard Town Center. [WBJ]
- Merry Christmas, Metro, part one: First 7000-series railcar arrives. [GGW]
- Merry Christmas, Metro, part two: Hurricane Sandy funds could be on the way. [DCist]
- Homewood Suites coming to New York Avenue NW. [WBJ]
- Today on the market: Tucked-away Dupont rowhouse—$1,200,000
ARTS LINKS by Ally Schweitzer will return tomorrow (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
YOUNG & HUNGRY’S Jessica Sidman is on vacation. (tips? email@example.com)