Do you have a plan to vote?
Let us tell you the information you need to register and cast a ballot in D.C.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Slightly more than 14,000 voters cast ballots during the two-week early voting period that concluded Saturday evening, compared to the more than 22,000 people who voted before primary day four years ago. Will tomorrow’s election have historically low turnout?
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Police continue the search for Relisha Rudd at Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens and have divers searching the ponds in the park. [News4]
- The national media covers the D.C. election [New York Times]
- Can Marion Barry save Vince Gray? [Politico Magazine]
- The Gray motorcade hits the streets for some final stretch campaigning this weekend. [Loose Lips]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Politics Issue: The long awaited pre-election issue is out. Read it to see the editors’ election endorsements and nonendorsements, fascinating poll results, and to learn more about politics of pot, foodies, and more.
Buns or Bust: The disturbing trend of city burger joints offering a burger bowl.
Mayoral Power Ranking: In the penultimate Loose Lips’ ranking, Mayor Vince Gray comes out on top.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mayoral candidates face weather, low turnout ahead of primary. [Post, Times]
- School lottery information expected to be released today. [Post]
- The Vince Gray motorcade hits the streets on a rainy weekend. [LL]
- Gray campaign spends $5,000 on crafty Express ad buy. [Post]
- Deep-pocketed donors flock to Muriel Bowser. [Post]
- Gray-backed “Muriel Not Ready” campaign releases a new video. [LL]
- Gray tops the latest Mayoral Power Rankings. [LL]
- Voters can back Hillary Clinton in the primary, sort of. [National Journal]
- Colby King: Pick Bowser or “pick a loser, blow the lid off Dems and laissez les bons temps rouler.” [Post]
- Tom Sherwood talks Marion Barry‘s effect on the mayoral race in Politico Magazine. [Politico]
- Gray, Bowser only get a few minutes in at the last mayoral forum. [Post]
- U.S. Attorney Ron Machen is at war with his inner preacher, says Courtland Milloy. [Post]
- Post ed board goes to bat yet again for Bowser. [Post]
- Housing Authority picks development shortlist. [WBJ]
- Rain doesn’t stop divers searching Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens for information about missing girl. [Times]
- D.C. United seizes on positive stadium polling. [Housing Complex]
- The Blade puts out its primary guide. [Blade]
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Aaron Wiener. (tips email@example.com
- One of the few supermarkets east of the Anacostia River is closing. [CHOTR]
- Kickstarter projects in the D.C. region have raised $14 million since 2009. [Post]
- Parents at Wilson feeders object to school boundary changes. [GGE]
- Five teams short-listed to redevelop Housing Authority headquarters. [WBJ]
- The owner of several Capitol Hill restaurants files for bankruptcy. [WSJ]
- Where’s D.C.’s tech hub? The answer keeps changing. [GGW]
- Here’s what $8 million gets you in Georgetown. [Post]
- Today on the market: Glover Park rowhouse—$829,900
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- D.C. music legends compete in an interactive NCAA-style bracket. [Post]
- Invest in these six artists before their work gets too pricey. [Refinery29]
- Listen to the debut track from ambient-pop duo VEDAS. [D.C. Music Download]
- Playwright Allyson Currin tells a family folktale in The Carolina Layaway Grail. [Theatre Washington]
- Two classical music impresarios will bring live accompaniment back to the Washington Ballet. [Post]
- Photos of the Koresh Dance Company’s show at the Lansburgh Theatre [BYT]
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman. (tips? email@example.com)
- Ten top tapas spots around D.C. [The Plate]
- Helen’s The Bar will replace Addie’s on Rockville Pike. [Bethesda Mag]
- Nanobrewery Baying Hound Aleworks debuts in Rockville. [Post]
- Curry Mantra 4 London Curry House signs lease in Alexandria. [NoVa Mag]
- Where to eat at Nationals Park [Zagat]
- Check out the roof at Roofers Union. [BYT]
- Locolat becomes Hans Pedre Kaffe in Adams Morgan. [PoPville]
- 100 Montaditos opens in Rosslyn today with free sandwiches. [ARLnow]