We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Mayor-for-Life Marion Barry is rushing to get a biopic of his life made so that it can be released before HBO’s film on his life, because Barry is unhappy with how he thinks the HBO film will portray his arrest at the Vista Hotel for smoking crack. District noir novelist George Pelecanos is one of the writers of the HBO film.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- A driver struck a cyclist near Union Station Thursday evening and left the scene. [News4]
- The Silver Line project will get a nearly $2 billion federal loan to help pay for the second phase of the project, which will extend the rail to Dulles International Airport and farther into Loudoun County. [Post]
- Needed renovations on the National Mall likely won’t happen without private donations. [AP]
- In case you forgot, here’s a reminder: Comparing D.C. to states makes no sense. [New York Times]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Tender’s Game: The most interesting man on Capitol Hill doesn’t work in the Capitol. He’s a longtime bartender in the neighborhood—-and has been about the only constant there over the last 50 years. Meet Rudi Appl in our latest cover story.
Hotel D.C.: Two new hotels opened in the District yesterday, and more are on their way.
All You Can Bleat: The Anacostia Watershed Society has hired goats—-GOATS!—-to eat invasive plants near the Anacostia River.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Marion Barry rushes to beat HBO to make a movie about his life. [LL]
- Charter board releases waitlist numbers. [Post]
- Reading Dream City just got easier. [LL]
- Zoning commission takes up the future of McMillan development. [WBJ]
- Supreme Court shortlister joins Vince Gray‘s legal team in budget autonomy suit. [LL]
- Welcome to the D.C. hotel boom. [Housing Complex]
- Blade columnist says gay groups don’t deserve dedicated money. [Blade]
- AG Irv Nathan gets a thrashing from Jonetta Rose Barras over budget autonomy. [Post]
- Post ed board: Fight against truancy starts in pre-K. [Post]
- Deborah Simmons wonders if “blacks are being bamboozled” on District marijuana legalization. [Times]
- D.C. area real incomes fall. [Housing Complex]
- D.C. makes “most polluted” list. [WTOP]
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Aaron Wiener. (tips? email@example.com)
- Developer WC Smith proposes a 200-unit building in Congress Heights. [WBJ]
- Micro-units target high-earning millennials. [UrbanTurf]
- A picture is worth 1,000 studies on why a 16th Street bus lane is needed. [GGW]
- Another reminder that comparing D.C. to states makes little sense. [NYT]
- Metro’s most and least walkable stations [Post]
- House flipping is down, but profits aren’t. [WBJ]
- Boston Properties expands its Mount Vernon Triangle development footprint. [WBJ]
- Today on the market: Woodley Park 1BR—$399,000
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Marion Barry wants someone to make a film about his life (on his terms) before HBO releases its (potentially unflattering) biopic. [Loose Lips]
- D.C. is getting on board the “creative placemaking” train, foregrounding public art in new development projects. [East City Art]
- At the National Gallery of Art, pianist Ann Schein made her spirited, dynamic playing look effortless. [Post]
- Photos from Toadies‘ anniversary show at Black Cat [BYT]
- Photos from CHVRCHES‘ crowd-awing show at 9:30 Club [DCist]
- Jerry Manning, the artistic director of Seattle Repertory Theatre who played a crucial role in the growth of D.C. theater in the ’80s and ’90s at Arena Stage, died earlier this week. [DC Theatre Scene]
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman. (tips? email@example.com)
- For five decades, there’s been one constant in Capitol Hill bars: Rudi Appl. [WCP]
- The Gryphon set to reopen mid-May. [Barred in DC]
- New spot from owners of Acqua Al 2 will be called Liquor Bar. [Eater]
- Try GBD‘s chile relleno. [Post]
- What to eat and drink at Compass Rose [Zagat]
- The bourgey guide to guacamole [BYT]