Do you have a plan to vote?
Let us tell you the information you need to register and cast a ballot in D.C.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Metro riders aren’t happy that some rush-hour Blue Line trains will be cut to make way for the new Silver Line. But it doesn’t look like Metro is going to have a change of heart on the reroutes, given that the decision to make changes to the Blue Line was decided on a decade ago.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- A Pennsylvania congressman’s press secretary said he accidentally brought a gun into a D.C. federal office building and pleaded not guilty to weapons charges. [News4]
- Section 8 residents explain why they want to be separated in a different part of the building in a new U Street NW apartment complex with a mix of affordable and market-rate units. [WBJ]
- Muriel Bowser says she won’t hold a hearing on the missing funds at the Ward 8 affordable housing complex, Park Southern. [Loose Lips]
- D.C. residents successfully chased down and caught a man in Mount Pleasant after he snatched someone’s purse. [Post]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Compensatory Damages: The District spent workers’ compensation money on its general budget. So why is D.C.’s workers’ compensation still such a mess? Our latest cover story investigates.
Sunken Dreams: The D.C. Arts Commission told Mia Feuer that she could no longer install a sculpture of a sunken gas station in the Anacostia River.
Fringe Festival: Make sure to check out all of our Fringe coverage on the Fringeworthy blog.
LOOSE LIPS, by Will Sommer. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Muriel Bowser says she won’t hold a hearing on the Park Southern scandal. [LL, Post]
- Charter school board member’s contract with a school is under review by the ethics board. [Post]
- Colby King wonders whether Bowser can be trusted on Park Southern. [Post]
- At-large hopeful Elissa Silverman says she already has enough signatures to make the ballot. [LL]
- Montessori school loss out in scramble for locations. [Post]
- Attorney General Irv Nathan backs Corcoran deal. [WBJ]
- Who’s behind the District’s Olympic effort? [Times]
- District looks for developers for vacant properties. [Housing Complex]
- Mount Pleasant purse-snatcher foiled by “posse.” [Post]
- Staffers slam Washington Hospital Center. [Post]
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Aaron Wiener (email@example.com)
- The future of Franklin Park takes shape. [WBJ]
- The benefits of restoring troubled houses in Anacostia. [Post]
- A Metropolitan Branch Trail gap begins to close. [GGW]
- And here’s what the trail’s possible connection to L Street could look like. [WashCycle]
- Why we’re not seeing family-sized condos. [UrbanTurf]
- By one measure, Brookland just got pricier than Cleveland Park. [WBJ]
- How fads affect the retail market. [Post]
- Today on the market: Foggy Bottom 1BR—$295,000
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mia Feuer‘s planned gas-station sculpture in the Anacostia River is no more. [Arts Desk]
- National Geographic installed a temporary “no cellphones” lane on a Dupont-area sidewalk to promote a new show. [DCist]
- Margot MacDonald on breaking free from a band with a loop pedal [Washingtonian]
- Meet the understudies who finally get their moments onstage in Signature Theatre’s Revenge of the Understudies. [Post]
- Comedian Chelsea Shorte on corruption, bowties, and Blood Pizza Content [BYT]
- The as-yet-unbuilt Museum of Science Fiction is evaluating potential sites for a preview museum. [DCist]
- A look at the finances of military bands, some of the largest employers of musicians in the D.C. area [Post]
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- Washington’s first cake-pop boutique could open in November. [Post]
- 14 hours eating endless mozzarella sticks at TGI Friday’s [Gawker]
- Fed Restaurant in Adams Morgan “closed for repairs.” [PoPville]
- Veritas Wine Bar will close in August. [Eater]
- Try the skate wing tempura at Crane & Turtle. [Zagat]
- 28 next-level ways to eat ice cream [BuzzFeed]