Sign up for our free newsletter
Free D.C. news, delivered to your inbox daily.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Students’ results from the District’s annual standardized tests contained some unsettling data points, including that the city’s achievement gap did not narrow: 44 percent of African American students were proficient in reading compared with 92 percent of white students. Although student proficiency rates in reading and math increased slightly, proficiency rates among students learning English as a second language dropped in those subjects in both traditional and charter schools.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- A Dupont ANC commissioner was arrested for attacking a homeless man. [Post]
- The Silver Line may have opened, but getting around on foot around Tysons Corner is not easy. [WAMU]
- At her birthday party, mayoral candidate Muriel Bowser took some jabs at her opponents, saying David Catania and Carol Schwartz are pretending to be the Democratic nominee. [Loose Lips]
- When MLK Library undergoes its total renovation, it will likely move into an office building. [WBJ]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
The Last Pitcher Show: Dewey Beach might be ready to ditch its misfit reputation. But what happens when a party town tries to grow up? Our latest cover story explores.
It’s a Lifestyle: Yogis say yoga is not actually fitness and, thus, should be exempt from the “Yoga Tax.”
Fuck: Is Metro kinda fucked? Or is it totally fucked?
LOOSE LIPS is on vacation. (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
HOUSING COMPLEX is on vacation. (email@example.com)
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Listen to Young Summer‘s latest track, the very sweet “Leave Your Love.” [D.C. Music Download]
- Give University of Maryland President Wallace D. Loh six weeks, he testified in court, and he could have a plan ready to balance the Corcoran’s budget. [Post]
- A local man is asking for help raising $30,000 to book Kenny Loggins for a concert in his living room. [DCist]
- A preview of Signature Theatre’s free open-house party tomorrow [DC Theatre Scene]
- Dewey Beach’s go-to cover band, Go Go Gadjet, is starting to take itself more seriously. [Post]
- Best bets for comedy shows in August [BYT]
- The Rosebuds, who play DC9 next week, on continuing their musical partnership after getting divorced [Express]
FOOD LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- Maple launches Saturday brunch with expanded dining room coming soon. [PoPville]
- The eight most insanely unhealthy restaurant meals in America [BuzzFeed]
- Where to find the best sliders in D.C. [Zagat]
- Andrew Zimmern will headline Strathmore’s Appetite Festival [Express]
- Try the deep fried deviled eggs at Rustico. [NoVa Mag]
- The $20 Diner visits Richmond. [Post]
- How to order a pizza from a nuclear command bunker [NPR]