Do you have a plan to vote?
Let us tell you the information you need to register and cast a ballot in D.C.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
The 2014 Beer Issue—your hub for everything beer in D.C.—is here. Have at it.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Prosecutors in the corruption trial of former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell began wrapping up their case Wednesday and called an FBI agent to the stands. The agent testified that at one point the governor and his wife had more than $90,000 in credit card debt. [WAMU]
- How will Phinis Jones and the Park Southern housing complex controversy play into the mayoral election? [Loose Lips]
- Sally Quinn remembers actress Lauren Bacall, uh, awkwardly. [Post]
- New York celebrity chef David Chang confirms that he will be open a Momofuku restaurant in CityCenterDC. [Washingtonian]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Restaurant Week: A behind-the-scenes look at how Restaurant Week really works.
#MikeBrown: Here’s a powerful photo of Howard University students rallying in support of Michael Brown and the protests in Ferguson, Mo.
Housing Trends: As far as housing trends go, Arlington is a product of the 1920s, Greenbelt the ’30s, Reston the ’60s, and D.C. the 2010s.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Police search for suspects in cop shooting. [Post, WAMU]
- D.C. Council at-large hopeful Khalid Pitts has cash advantage in race. [LL]
- ANC commissioners call on commissioner accused of attacking homeless man to resign. [Blade]
- Muriel Bowser talks tech. [WBJ]
- Neighbors want affordable housing at Hebrew Home. [Housing Complex]
- Trumpet-wielding mayoral candidate Faith‘s poster came from an eviction in St. Croix. [Post]
- School principals graduate from training program. [Post]
- At-large candidate Brian Hart, attorney general candidate Lateefah Williams on WPFW at 1 p.m. [Twitter]
- The District didn’t have much of a shot wooing Politico away from Rosslyn. [Housing Complex]
- A history of D.C. area housing trends. [Housing Complex]
- Alcohol board looks at liquor license for club where Anwan “Big G” Glover was stabbed. [WBJ]
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Aaron Wiener (tips? email@example.com)
- $8.3 million later, the former St. Elizabeths chapel is now a “demonstration center.” [Post]
- Developers uninterested in projects at three Metro stations. [WBJ]
- Nearly three-quarters of students in the 20008 ZIP code attend private school. [UrbanTurf]
- Million-dollar condos will kick off The Wharf opening. [WBJ]
- Despite locating more units, the city still isn’t preparing adequately for winter homelessness. [DCFPI]
- JBG plans 13-story apartment building near Nationals Park. [UrbanTurf]
- 365-unit Southwest building scheduled for 2016 completion. [WBJ]
- Setting the record straight on D.C.’s street names. [Curbed]
- Today on the market: Forest Hills 1BR—$305,000
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Local director/playwright Aaron Posner on the “ubiquitous ukelele girls” in his plays (see: Stupid Fucking Bird) [Post]
- A group of teens stood outside the Mandarin Oriental for four days to catch a glimpse of the heartthrobs of One Direction. [City Desk]
- Big Freedia filmed her latest twerk-packed video, for “Mo Azz,” at this year’s Capital Pride. [BYT]
- A Vassar profesor is making a 3-D map of the National Cathedral for an architecture study. [Post]
- Listen to Boardroom Heroes’ new track, “Here and Now,” for a throwback to classic pop-punk. [DCist]
- Charming gifs from the Smithsonian Libraries Tumblr [Post]
- Photos of cultural appropriation, unicorn costumes, and bass-chasers at the Moonrise Festival at Pimlico Race Course [BYT]
- Meret Oppenheim, whose works are currently on view at the National Museum of Women in the Arts, by the numbers [Post]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- It’s now official:David Chang will bring Momofuku to CityCenterDC. [Washingtonian]
- Oh, and Momofuku Milk Bar. [Twitter]
- Gordy’s Pickle Jar leases production facility in Petworth. [Express]
- Cork Wine Bar owner exceeds his D.C. Council at-large contenders in cash. [Loose Lips]
- Chef Justin Bittner leaves 8407 Kitchen Bar. [Don Rockwell]
- Rose’s Luxury, Eat The Rich, Southern Efficiency, and Mockingbird Hill named among the best new restaurants. [Bon Appetit]
- Bayou Bakery chef David Guas talks about his new TV show. [Eater]
- Hank’s Oyster Bar on the Hill has a Top Gun-themed cocktail menu. [Post]