We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
The next D.C. mayor will have to act fast on homelessness this winter. The city expects to see 850 homeless families this winter—-a 16 percent increase over last year. The top three mayoral candidates all have different ideas on how best to address this.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- The District will release its plan today to replace the homeless shelter at D.C. General with smaller shelters. [WAMU]
- A devastating car crash in Oxon Hill, Md., last Friday killed two D.C. sisters, who, between them, leave behind 10 children. Two children and a third young woman also died in the crash. [News4]
- Muriel Bowser gets her mayoral ambitions from her father, not Adrian Fenty. [Post]
- A new poll found that 60 percent of Virginians think former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell should face jail time after being convicted of public corruption. [WAMU]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
The D.C. Manual of Style and Usage: For our latest cover story, the Washington City Paper staff compiled a style guide for all things D.C. Learn the proper way to spell“bama,” punctuate “D.C.,” and refer to Chevy Chase, the actor.
The Ventriloquist: The latest Muriel Bowser ad puts the mayoral candidate’s words in other people’s mouths.
Oh Rats: D.C. residents call Orkin to get rid of rats more often than New York residents.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Muriel Bowser leads in mayor’s race fundraising, cash on hand. [LL, WAMU]
- Bowser ad features lip-syncing supporters. [LL, DCist, Post, Washingtonian]
- What Bowser got from her father [Post]
- Jim Graham doesn’t have nice things to say about either of the candidates running for mayor. [LL]
- Family homelessness looms ahead of the winter. [Post]
- Firefighters back Elissa Silverman, Anita Bonds in the at-large race. [LL]
- Asian Fortune covers Kishan Putta‘s at-large run. [Asian Fortune]
- Cops look for cabbie who sexually assaulted woman. [Times]
- Adios to Animal House. [City Desk]
- Meet the District’s health care ombudsman. [WBJ]
- How to get around the District’s streets. [WAMU]
HOUSING COMPLEX, by Aaron Wiener (tips? email@example.com)
- The connection between political contributions and city contracts [WAMU]
- Gallaudet and JBG plan “town-gown neighborhood” next to Union Market. [Post]
- Today the city will release its plan to replace D.C. General with smaller shelters. [WAMU]
- A new theater at Florida Avenue and Q Street NW? [UrbanTurf]
- Do we need a charter middle school west of the park, or will Hardy fit the bill? [GGW]
- GW’s Textile Museum will open in March. [Arts Desk]
- The D.C.-area warehouse market is growing, buoyed by housing and retail strength. [Post]
- Today on the market: Penn Quarter 1BR condo—$379,000
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Coming soon to Brookland: a new Jazz and Cultural Society [Arts Desk]
- Watch Ex Hex turn squares into cool kids from a spaceship in the video for “Waterfall” [DCist]
- The Textile Museum will open with the George Washington University Museum in March 2015. [Arts Desk]
- Howard University’s Yardfest has completely nixed live music this year after a few of last year’s audience members got rowdy. Would this have happened at a predominantly white university? [Post]
- Ditch the Capitol Skyline, forgo the crappy galleries from abroad: five things the (e)merge art fair should change [The D.C. Docent]
- Baltimore’s full of weird, cheap, apocalyptic theater this season. [Post]
- Silver Spring’s produced a contestant on NBC’s The Voice: Menlik Zergabachew, who’s now taking reggae tips from Gwen Stefani. [Bandwidth]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- The 10 hottest restaurants in D.C. [Zagat]
- Pappy Van Winkle can’t keep up with demand. [Post]
- Bourbon Steak bartender Jamie McBain now at Daikaya. [Eater]
- Why you should stop tipping your server [Thrillist]
- Chili-eating champion reveals his techniques [DCist]
- Seven vegetarian dishes for early fall [Washingtonian]