Sign up for our free newsletter
Free D.C. news, delivered to your inbox daily.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Maryland crab cakes” at D.C.-area restaurants are often made with crab from locations other than Maryland, a new study found. Inspired by a 2012 Young & Hungry column, the organization Oceana tested crab cakes at 86 restaurants in D.C. and Maryland.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Mayor Bowser promises streetcar in Ward 7 and Georgetown in her first State of the District speech. [Loose Lips]
- D.C. bans official travel to Indiana. [WAMU]
- Cava Grill is expanding to California. [Young & Hungry]
- National Zoo increases security with bag checks. [ABC7]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Pop-Ups Voted Down: The Zoning Commission voted to limit property owners’ ability to turn rowhouses into pop-ups.
Behold: Renderings of the future MLK Library, with TED talks and a roof garden.
Infectious: Listen to this new Pleasure Curses track.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Muriel Bowser lays out goals in State of the District address. [LL, Post]
- Bowser backs ambitious streetcar plan. [Housing Complex]
- Polling rumors abound in Ward 8 race. [LL]
- Zoning commission pushes back on pop-ups. [Housing Complex, WAMU]
- Mary Cheh unhappy with Wilson budget cuts. [Post]
- Post ed board: Free the gas stations. [Post]
- Bowser bans District government trips to Indiana over anti-gay law. [Blade, Blade, WAMU, Post]
- Check out this library. [Housing Complex]
HOUSING COMPLEX LINKS, by Aaron Wiener (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Beer garden raising funds to move to Anacostia waterfront until development arrives. [Y&H]
- Big Union Market expansion gets zoning approval. [WBJ]
- Shaw dog park could become condos, but ANC objects. [SALM]
- CityCenterDC and the Trump Hotel battle for Tiffany & Co. [WBJ]
- Another developer goes all in on New York Avenue NE. [WBJ]
- Today on the market: Pleasant Plains 4BR condo—-$700,000
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci (tips? email@example.com)
- Listen to Pleasure Curses‘ infectious new disco-pop track, “Concrete.” [Arts Desk]
- Perfect for a Sunday stroll: Nick Cave‘s garish, Easter-themed Soundsuit at the Hirshhorn [Smithsonian]
- Listen to Maryland R&B outfit April + VISTA‘s debut EP, Lanterns. [Bandwidth]
- Renderings of a renovated MLK Library, TED talks and all [Housing Complex]
- How a new D.C. DIY house show venue (Babe City) and cassette/vinyl label (Chimes Records) got started [D.C. Music Download]
- FAQs about this year’s Helen Hayes Awards ceremony and afterparty [Post]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Filipino restaurant Bad Saint launches a Kickstarter campaign. [PoPville]
- Food and drink festivals to look forward to this spring [Eater]
- Where to find Passover menus at D.C. restaurants [Post]
- Six places where you should never skip dessert [Zagat]
- Five places to eat in Clarendon [Washingtonian]
- The Curious Grape closes in Shirlington, but an Italian restaurant will take its place. [ARLnow]