A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Mayor Muriel Bowser cancelled proposed cuts to the University of the District of Columbia and tabled a fight over police body cameras.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- The New York Times fucks up another visit to D.C. [Young & Hungry]
- Metro offers up two Brookland parcels for development. [Housing Complex]
- UDC gets new president. [WBJ]
- Neighborhood leaders rally to oppose Pepco-Exelon merger. [WTOP]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Gear Prudence: Why some cyclists bike with their helmets, but not on their heads.
Converted: This historic carriage house in Eastern Market is now a New Orleans-themed bakery.
Tea Time: Shaw has a new vegan cafe and tearoom.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Councilmembers oppose Exelon’s purchase of Pepco. [Post, Times]
- Muriel Bowser backs down on UDC budget cuts. [LL]
- Parents worry about school conditions. [Post]
- UDC gets a new president. [AP]
- Two new Brookland parcels from Metro. [Housing Complex]
- “Uber for buses” arrives. [WAMU]
HOUSING COMPLEX LINKS, by Aaron Wiener (tips? email@example.com)
- Death toll on derailed Amtrak train from D.C. climbs to six. [AP]
- Two new apartment buildings planned at Southwest complex. [UrbanTurf]
- And the local ANC backs another big residential project nearby. [UrbanTurf]
- Councilmembers call on Muriel Bowser to oppose Pepco-Exelon merger. [DCist]
- There aren’t many foreclosures left in the D.C. area. [WBJ]
- A profile of a bygone downtown music venue. [DCist]
- Today on the market: 16th Street Heights house in need of love—-$690,000
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci is off today (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- A Bethesda condo has its own sommelier in residence [Eater]
- Maketto introduces D.C. to Taiwanese fried chicken. [Post]
- Eight new happy hours to try around D.C. [Zagat]
- The Chickery to replace Black and Orange in Dupont. [PoPville]
- Company offers waffles, dream interpretations to hawk mattresses. [DCist]
- Shake Shack has a Cool Runnings Concrete. [Express]