We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The legalization of pot possession has already changed the landscape for dealers in D.C. and influenced attitudes toward the drug.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Marion C. Barry to plead guilty in bank outburst case. [Loose Lips]
- In her first budget, is the mayor winning the battle with the D.C. Council but losing the war? [Post]
- Neighbors push for speedy response on safety measures for Maryland Avenue NE. [WAMU]
- DDOT began installing new barriers to protect cyclists on Pennsylvania Avenue NW. [City Desk]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Q&A: D.C.’s new housing chief talks affordable housing, homelessness, and much more.
Our Nightly Bread: A new evening farmers market launched in D.C.
Your Summer Plans: Our 2015 Summer Arts & Entertainment Guide is here.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Pot dealers thrive under quirky legalization scheme. [Post]
- The D.C. Council gets two new members who owe a lot to Muriel Bowser. [LL]
- Councilmembers not eager to back Bowser’s request for more power. [Post]
- Marion C. Barry cuts a last-.minute plea deal over his alleged bank outburst. [LL]
- Housing chief faces homelessness crisis. [Housing Complex]
- DCPS will open a school for would-be cops. [Post]
- Tony Williams‘ family caught up in probate drama. [Post]
- DMV plans to send out bike info. [WAMU]
HOUSING COMPLEX LINKS, by Aaron Wiener (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Office-dominated downtown areas like Golden Triangle and L’Enfant need residents. [Post]
- Georgetown Day School expansion will include 340 residences. [UrbanTurf]
- Developer buys up Georgia Avenue NW block across from Walter Reed. [WBJ]
- Six American cities are better than D.C. for cyclists. [Post]
- D.C.’s bag fee is working. [GGW]
- X2 passengers tussle after knife attack. [Hill Now]
- Fool tries to sell Capital Bikeshare bike on Craigslist. [Post]
- Today on the market: Adams Morgan 2BR—-$595,000
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci is off today (tips? email@example.com)
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- How race plays into D.C.’s restaurant scene. [Oxford American]
- How a fish sandwich became a symbol of Shaw’s changes. [Washingtonian]
- Chef Jeremiah Langhorne forages for ramps. [Post]
- The best old person bars in the D.C. area. [DCist]
- Where to celebrate Memorial Day [Drink DC]
- Eight Virginia wineries worth the trip from D.C. [Thrillist]
- Inn at Little Washington chef Patrick O’Connell talks about his new design book. [NoVa Mag]