We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The anonymous vandal who tagged the forthcoming Subway in Mount Pleasant spoke to City Paper in an exclusive interview, voicing remorse for the act and for writing “KEEP DC WEIRD.” The District, he says, “has never been weird.”
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- At 11th hour, D.C. United considers bolting for Virginia. [Post]
- The Memorial Bridge epitomizes the nation’s crumbling infrastructure. [WAMU]
- D.C. businesses urged to prohibit concealed handguns. [WAMU]
- D.C. man claims he set world record for pull-ups in Ballston. [ARLnow]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
You Have One Job: Councilmember Jack Evans is no longer moonlighting for a lobbying firm.
Brew To-Do: Where to drink during SAVOR, the annual craft beer and food extravaganza going on this week.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Office of the Attorney General opposes Exelon’s takeover of Pepco… [Post, Times]
- … while Mary Cheh wants publicly owned utility studied. [WAMU]
- Jack Evans leaves his second job at lobbying firm. [LL]
- After handgun ruling, group wants businesses to ban guns. [WAMU]
- 11th Street Bridge blamed for more traffic east of the Anacostia River. [WAMU]
- Off-duty MPD officer shot and wounded in Michigan. [Post]
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Photos of Awesome Con at the Washington Convention Center [Arts Desk]
- Ten local visual artists are making artworks to cover the sides of D.C. recycling trucks. [CityLab]
- Kendrick Lamar brought a Sweetgreen salad guy onstage at Sweetlife to spit a verse, and salad guy couldn’t cut it. [Washingtonian]
- Photos of the Pixies and the Mynabirds at the 9:30 Club [Arts Desk]
- This dude really, really didn’t dig the Sweetlife scene. [Post]
- A review of Rush‘s 40-year anniversary show at Jiffy Lube Live [DCist]
- How the Congressional Chorus got its Sondheim act together [DC Theatre Scene]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- Why the worst time to drink coffee is actually the morning [Post]
- Lupo Verde owners plan a second location in Palisades. [WBJ]
- Cava Grill to open downtown Silver Spring location. [Eater]
- 10 suburban restaurants worth a drive this summer [Zagat]
- Ri Ra Irish Pub closes in Clarendon. [ARLnow]
- Graffiti protests Subway coming to Mount Pleasant. [PoPville]