A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Charnice Milton, the local reporter randomly gunned down in Skyland, was remembered at a vigil Wednesday. [NBC4, WJLA]
- D.C. schools improved under mayoral control, but disparities remain. [Post, WAMU]
- Construction worker killed while working on National Museum of African American History and Culture. [Post]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Shades of Gay: How do non-gay bars become gay destinations?
Straight and Narrow? The District doesn’t have any out gay councilmembers. Does it matter?
Inaugural Meating: Meat and Dairy Eaters Anonymous—like AA for people going vegan—will meet for the first time tonight at PETA’s headquarters.
Photolaugh: Matt Stuart finds the humor and absurdity in street photography.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The District doesn’t have any openly gay councilmembers. Does it need one? [LL]
- Medric Mills‘ family sues the District over fatal “carelessness.” [Post, NBC4]
- Questions about D.C. United’s potential move to Loudoun. [WBJ]
- Report: Schools have improved under mayoral control. [WAMU]
- Teacher charged with sex abuse. [Post]
- Letter to the editor: a gondola? Why not the Circulator instead? [Post]
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci (tips? email@example.com)
- Matt Stuart finds the humor and absurdity in street photography. [Arts Desk]
- Want the Foo Fighters to break up? Sign this petition for them to release a single on Dischord. [Bandwidth]
- Photos of the Tallest Man on Earth at the Lincoln Theatre [BYT]
- A morning at Daybreaker, the early-weekday sober dance party that’s made its way here from New York [Post]
- An interview with 17-year-old Ben Cook, who’s returning to the D.C. area to act in Newsies at the National Theatre [DC Metro Theater Arts]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Seasonal Pantry will close its market, expand supper club days. [Eater]
- Where to eat Korean fried chicken [Washingtonian]
- Ex-server sues Bombay Club owner, claiming he was stiffed overtime. [Post]
- D.C.’s best destinations for ice cream [DCist]
- Can’t miss food and drink events in June [Zagat]
- Six things Carluccio’s changed to fit its European brand to American tastes [WBJ]