Get our free newsletter
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
The wait is over: Our annual Food Issue is back, with a restaurant and bar for every occasion. Where can you get coffee without fighting for a seat? What’s the best place for a double date with a couple you hate? What’s the least touristy restaurant for an out-of-towner? What’s the best place to break up?
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Oh, the joys of the off-cycle D.C. Council seat! [Loose Lips]
- Search warrant reveals bloody bat found at mansion where quadruple homicide happened. [NBC4]
- Report: Condition of D.C. jail “alarming.” [WAMU]
- Councilmembers object to school renovation costs—again. [Loose Lips]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Gear Prudence: I’m a bike rack klutz! Help!
Fumble: The mayor’s staffers puzzle over her supposed flip-flop on the local football team name.
School of Jazz: Do jazz musicians need academia? Braxton Cook reflects on a new EP.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- D.C. Council votes on budget on budget autonomy schedule. [Post, WAMU]
- The benefits of an off-cycle Council seat. [LL]
- House appropriations draft keeps District marijuana sales illegal. [Times, WAMU]
- Councilmembers look at the cost of school modernization. [LL]
- New details on the D.C. United stadium figures. [WBJ]
- Bowser staffer on Pigskins name flip-flop: “I smell a rat.” [LL]
- More on Bowser’s planned synthetic drug crackdown. [WAMU]
- The city issued more than 2 million tickets in 2014. [WBJ]
- Audit: small businesses missed out on more than $1 billion in spending meant for them. [WBJ, Post]
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci (tips? email@example.com)
- Coming this fall: a film about local undocumented immigrant youth. [Arts Desk]
- The best shows at this year’s DC Jazz Festival [Arts Desk]
- D.C. artist Gregg Deal painted a new mural on the outside of the Fridge on Barracks Row. [HillNow]
- Screen on the Green’s summer movie lineup [DCist]
- The Librarian of Congress, James Billington, announces his retirement; everyone rejoices. [Post]
- How should Obama find Billington’s replacement? [Post]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The hottest new food trucks hitting the streets [Eater]
- Five food entrepreneurs are vying for a slot in Union Market. [Post]
- DGS Delicatessen set to open June 15 in Fairfax. [Washingtonian]
- Where to eat on a boat, train, and bike around D.C. [Express]
- Five things to try at the new Tupelo Honey Cafe in Arlington [Zagat]
- Salsa With Silvia coming to Park View. [PoPville]