We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up: To get District Line Daily—or any of our other email newsletters—sent straight to your mailbox, click here.
D.C.’s best film festival has somehow gotten better. Here’s our guide to the 2015 AFI DOCS, which kicks off today.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Newly crowned NBA Finals MVP Andre Iguodala is also an accidental D.C. strip club magnate. [City Desk]
- Feds say Metro is plagued by “serious safety lapses.” [WAMU]
- The Spy Museum is looking for public money to back a move to L’Enfant Plaza. [Post]
- The staff of chef Nick Stefanelli‘s forthcoming Italian restaurant is serving frozen cocktails at Suburbia today. [Young & Hungry]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Half Baked: The people behind Baked & Wired opened a new cafe, which is nameless for now.
Jazz Up: Esperanza Spalding is realizing her potential.
Quitters Sometimes Win: D.C. officials appointed by Vince Gray can still get severance pay if they decide to quit this month.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Vince Gray appointees bail ahead of June severance deadline. [LL]
- LL looks at NBA star Andre Iguodala‘s investments in Stadium Club. [City Desk]
- $15 million of your tax dollars could save this crummy museum. [Post]
- Harry Thomas Jr. crony gets a dozen weekends in jail. [LL]
- Streetsweeper kills elderly man. [NBC4]
- More synthetic marijuana overdoses at a homeless shelter. [Post]
- Senators mad at Metro. [Post]
- Shooting critically injures young man in Southeast. [Post]
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- At the DC Jazz Festival, Esperanza Spalding made a new fan out of Arts Desk’s jazz correspondent. [Arts Desk]
- Photos of Courtney Barnett, Chastity Belt, and Darren Hanlon at the 9:30 Club [DC Music Download]
- Prince and Stevie Wonder played a private show at the White House. [DCist]
- Steve Martin wrote a musical with Edie Brickell, and it’s coming to the Kennedy Center this winter. [Post]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- The best places for Father’s Day dining around D.C. [Washingtonian]
- Local breweries embrace yoga [Express]
- The new Wegmans in Alexandria accepts OpenTable reservations for its pub. [Post]
- Eight underrated pizza places [Thrillist]
- Where to drink sangria this summer [Eater]
- Food companies have three years to remove all trans fats from processed food. [NPR]