A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
D.C.’s best film festival has somehow gotten better. Here’s our guide to the 2015 AFI DOCS, which kicks off today.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Newly crowned NBA Finals MVP Andre Iguodala is also an accidental D.C. strip club magnate. [City Desk]
- Feds say Metro is plagued by “serious safety lapses.” [WAMU]
- The Spy Museum is looking for public money to back a move to L’Enfant Plaza. [Post]
- The staff of chef Nick Stefanelli‘s forthcoming Italian restaurant is serving frozen cocktails at Suburbia today. [Young & Hungry]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Half Baked: The people behind Baked & Wired opened a new cafe, which is nameless for now.
Jazz Up: Esperanza Spalding is realizing her potential.
Quitters Sometimes Win: D.C. officials appointed by Vince Gray can still get severance pay if they decide to quit this month.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Vince Gray appointees bail ahead of June severance deadline. [LL]
- LL looks at NBA star Andre Iguodala‘s investments in Stadium Club. [City Desk]
- $15 million of your tax dollars could save this crummy museum. [Post]
- Harry Thomas Jr. crony gets a dozen weekends in jail. [LL]
- Streetsweeper kills elderly man. [NBC4]
- More synthetic marijuana overdoses at a homeless shelter. [Post]
- Senators mad at Metro. [Post]
- Shooting critically injures young man in Southeast. [Post]
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci (tips? email@example.com)
- At the DC Jazz Festival, Esperanza Spalding made a new fan out of Arts Desk’s jazz correspondent. [Arts Desk]
- Photos of Courtney Barnett, Chastity Belt, and Darren Hanlon at the 9:30 Club [DC Music Download]
- Prince and Stevie Wonder played a private show at the White House. [DCist]
- Steve Martin wrote a musical with Edie Brickell, and it’s coming to the Kennedy Center this winter. [Post]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The best places for Father’s Day dining around D.C. [Washingtonian]
- Local breweries embrace yoga [Express]
- The new Wegmans in Alexandria accepts OpenTable reservations for its pub. [Post]
- Eight underrated pizza places [Thrillist]
- Where to drink sangria this summer [Eater]
- Food companies have three years to remove all trans fats from processed food. [NPR]