We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up: To get District Line Daily—or any of our other email newsletters—sent straight to your mailbox, click here.
D.C. vape shops say an all-but-approved tax increase on their products will force them to shut down. “They’re going to put us out of business,” one shop owner says, “and they don’t care.”
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- The DCPS food contractor at the center of a lawsuit is about to get new contract. [Post]
- Strict pop-up and conversion limits are now in effect in many D.C. neighborhoods. [WBJ]
- The D.C. summer jobs program begins. [ABC7]
- Eleanor Holmes Norton scraps with the House Sergeant-at-Arms over gun laws. [Loose Lips]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Fortuitous: This year’s Fort Reno shows will happen (and we’ve got the lineup), thanks to a late fundraising push.
District of Colombia: D.C. now has a place to get a stuffed arepa with fried egg in the morning.
A Safe Bet?: Our latest cover story examines whether the District’s big investments in stadiums pay off.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Mendo looks to push tax cuts, faces Muriel Bowser opposition. [Post]
- Eleanor Holmes Norton wants correction from House official over gun laws. [LL]
- District officials: hurray for gay marriage ruling. [Blade]
- DCPS school vendor set to get another contract at $19 million settlement. [Post]
- Does Uber surge pricing work in the District? [Post]
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci is off today (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- Ben’s Chili Bowl opens on H Street NE on July 8. [Frozen Tropics]
- Longtime Off the Record bartender John Boswell has retired. [Eater]
- The best queer nightlife in D.C. [DCist]
- Budding restaurateurs compete for facetime with D.C. restaurant bigwigs. [WBJ]
- Slash Run, a bar with a hair-metal theme, coming to Petworth. [Post]
- Vidalia ending lunch service on July 1. [PoPville]
- Four new liquor licenses snatched up in Georgetown. [Georgetown Metropolitan]
- Where to celebrate Independence Day [Drink DC]