Sign up for our free newsletter
Free D.C. news, delivered to your inbox daily.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
This week’s cover story: Jeff Mills’ whistleblower suit revealed rotting food, fraud, and millions of dollars lost. Why is DCPS renewing its contract with Chartwells?
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Despite a scare at the Navy Yard this morning, authorities found no evidence of an active shooter . [NBC4]
- In D.C.’s booming dining scene, restaurants such as Rasika renovate to stay relevant. [Young & Hungry]
- The D.C. Jail is falling apart. What will replace it? [City Desk]
- Bowser celebrates the minimum wage increase. [Post]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Gear Prudence: Help! My boyfriend has bike rage.
Delay of Game: Here’s are the biggest obstacles to the local NFL team moving back to the District.
Just Sit Right There: Listen to Nadastrom’s new mixtape, and homage to an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Finally, a D.C. Council show. [LL]
- Councilmembers move to block Chartwells contract. [LL]
- Audit shows loose oversight in school modernization. [LL, WAMU]
- $15 minimum wage battle looms for Muriel Bowser, businesses. [Post, WAMU]
- Interior Department could block Pigskins’ move to RFK Stadium. [LL, Post]
- “People’s fireworks” terrorize, delight the District. [WAMU]
- Blogger sues to get her ads on Metro. [City Desk]
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci is off today (tips? email@example.com)
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Sweetgreen brings in $35 million in new funding. [Eater]
- R.J. Cooper agrees to return Gypsy Soul space to landlord. [Post]
- At Claudia’s Steakhouse, martinis go for $125 and grocery store wines are poured at a premium. [Washingtonian]
- Dolcezza owners open Mom & Pop in Mosaic District. [NoVa Mag]
- Beef ‘n Bread coming to Chinatown. [PoPville]
- Pho Deluxe opening in Courthouse this weekend. [ARLnow]