Sign up for our free newsletter
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We wanted to send a photographer to the Foo Fighters blowout at RFK on July 4th, but the band’s contract was outrageous. If you attended the show and took a great photo, send it our way. If we run it in print, we’ll pay you.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- D.C., Arlington residents sound off on jet noise at nearby Reagan National Airport. [WAMU]
- Burrito-sized sushi has arrived in D.C. [Young & Hungry]
- Petitioners want José Andrés to back out of plans to open a restaurant in a Donald Trump building. [Washingtonian]
- The plastic ocean at the Building Museum opened. [Arts Desk]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Hunger Games: A whistleblower suit revealed rotting food, fraud, and millions of dollars lost. Why is DCPS renewing its contract with Chartwells?
Space Lift: In a booming dining scene, restaurants like Rasika renovate to stay relevant.
Correction Required: The D.C. Jail is falling apart. What should replace it?
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Death with dignity bill nears Council consideration. [WBJ]
- Student exits complicate progress at DCPS. [Post]
- Grim conditions at the D.C. Jail. [City Desk]
- Government agencies coordinate to provide shelter during Saturday’s storm. [Post]
- Metro drivers worry about attacks from passengers. [Post]
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci is off today (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- Who’s got better food? Nationals Park vs. Camden Yards [Post]
- Italian grandmas try Olive Garden for the first time. [BuzzFeed]
- Petition urges José Andrés to reconsider plans for D.C. Trump hotel. [Washingtonian]
- Sorry, protestors. Subway opens in Mount Pleasant. [PoPville]
- Number Nine owner will open a tavern below Black Whiskey. [Borderstan]
- Where to experience an Ethiopian coffee ceremony in D.C. [DCist]