We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from Washington City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
How are Phil Mendelson and the five D.C. Council freshmen dealing with each other? Loose Lips explores in his column this week.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- A new Metro safety commission is said to be on the way, again. [WTOP]
- A new dinner club focuses on pairing sherry with food from Japan, Cambodia, and India. [Young & Hungry]
- Rasika re-opened with a revamped look and menu. [Young & Hungry]
- José Andrés and Geoffrey Zakarian may have trouble getting out of their leases at the Trump Hotel. [Washingtonian]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
Fringe on Top: Ten years in, Julianne Brienza has big plans for Capital Fringe.
As If: What it’s like to watch Clueless with Jen Chaney, who wrote a new book about the movie.
Second Helping: At D.C. restaurants, an ex-con is probably helping prepare your meal.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton complains about Pennsylvania Ave. closures. [Post]
- D.C. Council outraged about school modernization, win surprise mayoral visit. [LL]
- Streetcar is “months” away. [WAMU]
- Muriel Bowser set to sign synthetic drug bill. [Post]
- What’s next for botched DCPS food contract? [City Desk]
- Protesters rally at Donald Trump‘s Old Post Office project. [City Desk, Post, WAMU]
- Remember when Bowser and other District pols said nice things about Trump? [LL]
- David Grosso, “socialist chieftain.” [Times]
- Teacher accused of sexually abusing a student pleads to a lesser charge. [Post]
- CC: LL’s bosses. [Post]
- (LL’s bosses — CC: LL [ABC])
- D.C. Housing Finance Agency marks $100 million in mortgage assistance. [WBJ]
ARTS LINKS, by Christina Cauterucci is off today (tips? email@example.com)
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Chef Geoffrey Zakarian pulls out of Trump hotel project. [Eater]
- 18 mistakes you’re making in D.C. restaurants [Thrillist]
- D.C. date spots that won’t break the bank [FamousDC]
- Where to grab a pint and a pie [DrinkDC]
- Tosca brings foie gras and Mars Bars together [Washingtonian]
- Iron Gate launching an agriturismo menu Sunday and Monday nights this month. [PoPville]