On Saturday evening, a D.C. police officer shot a woman holding a knife. Bystanders recorded the incident.

The shooting took place in the 5300 block of Clay Terrace NE around 6:15 p.m. yesterday, according to the Metropolitan Police Department. Police were on the scene to assist with a fire call. “While on scene, the units were called for a woman with a knife at the same location,” a release from MPD states. “Upon reaching the location they located a female suspect, who produced a knife and confronted the officers. As the suspect approached them, an officer fired one shot at the suspect, who sustained a gunshot wound.”

Police say the woman is being treated at an area hospital; according to the Washington Post, D.C. police Chief Cathy Lanier said the woman was in stable condition. The woman’s identity has not been released.

The Post obtained a minute-long video in which a woman wearing a pink baseball-cap appears in a confrontation with an MPD officer, who is pointing his gun at her. Apparently brandishing a knife, the woman approaches the officer from about 10 feet away.

“Put the knife down!” a bystander yells, just seconds before a gunshot is heard and the recording ends.

Lanier told the Post the acting officer commanded the woman to disarm herself multiple times and only fired once. “We don’t really know what’s behind this,” the police chief told the paper. “There is no policy that dictates every individual officer’s perception and every individual officer’s actions. It is something we train officers to handle based on what the situation is.”

MPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau is investigating.

This isn’t the first time this year that an officer has discharged a weapon near the 5300 block of Clay Terrace: On March 27, police shot and wounded 23-year-old Troye Roberson while responding to reports of an armed robbery in the 900 block of Eastern Avenue NE around midnight. Roberson ran from police with a gun in hand until an officer shot him three times, D.C. Superior Court documents state.  A .45-caliber pistol was later found on the scene.

Photo by Darrow Montgomery