We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up: To get District Line Daily—or any of our other email newsletters—sent straight to your mailbox, click here.
At a public crime meeting Thursday morning, local Black Lives Matter activists interrupted Mayor Muriel Bowser during a speech she gave on a new plan to combat the city’s recent uptick in violence, called “Safer, Stronger D.C.”
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Four people were wounded in three shootings late Thursday night. [WUSA9]
- Firefight: A group of men jumped onto a firetruck in Congress Heights yesterday and brawled. [WTOP]
- The D.C. Office of the Attorney General is closing a corner store in Petworth over synthetic drugs. [WTOP]
- Brace yourselves: Donald Trump and Ted Cruz will be holding a joint protest against the Iran nuclear deal in the District within the next two weeks. [CBS News, CNN, The Hill]
- It’s a boy! The larger of Mei Xiang’s giant panda twins appeared healthy yesterday, after its younger sibling died Wednesday afternoon. The zoo announced his paternity this morning. [City Desk, City Desk]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- PR Crisis: Metro hired two crisis-management firms after the fatal January smoke incident near the L’Enfant Plaza station, and City Paper got exclusive access to documents detailing the expenses.
- Dancing Goats: An Olympia, Wash.-based coffee bar will soon open its first D.C. location in Georgetown.
- Turn, Turn, Turn: Gear Prudence explores how you should make turns from the L Street cycletrack.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Black Lives Matter protesters disrupt Muriel Bowser anti-violence kickoff. [LL, Post, WAMU, DCist, Times]
- Inside Metro’s post-smoke incident spin machine. [LL]
- One in four DCPS schools face principal turnover. [Post]
- Smart growthers unhappy with congestion study, Part 1. [GGW, WAMU]
- Protected bike lanes for C Street NE. [GGW]
- Suspects arrested in two murder cases. [Post]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 5 of the best crab cakes in D.C. [Washingtonian]
- 5 daytrips from D.C. that take 2 hours or less by car, train, or bus. [Express]
- 8 binge-worthy blowout feasts in D.C. [Zagat]
- 10 things to see, eat, drink, and do before summer ends [Post]
- 12 best bars and restaurants in Charlottesville [Thrillist]
- 17 standout BLT sandwiches [Eater]