A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Tuesday, Mayor Muriel Bowser announced an expansion of the District’s services for homeless residents. The plan, called Homeward DC, will allow families to apply for shelter anytime—a change from the previous policy of only accepting shelter-applications on freezing nights. Bowser will also ask the D.C. Council to approve interim housing.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- After she spoke on homelessness, Bowser dug in on her support of Police Chief Cathy Lanier. [City Desk]
- The District has committed to teach every second grader enrolled in DCPS how to ride a bike. [City Lab]
- Surveillance video has captured footage of a man suspected of sexually assaulting two women. [WUSA9]
- Restaurant Week returns Monday… in the form of D.C.’s inaugural Food Truck Week. [Young & Hungry]
- D.C.-based tech incubator 1776 has received $12.5 million in seed funding. It has 18 companies. [DC Inno]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Fancy Feast: Over the weekend, some D.C. residents spent hundreds of dollars to attend Dîner en Blanc.
- Bye, Bye, Bliss: DJ Will Eastman says the next Bliss mega-dance party—on Sept. 26—will be the last.
- Claws Out: Cat advocates claim the District’s 2015 Wildlife Action Plan will inhumanely target feral cats.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Muriel Bowser outlines plan to offer yearlong housing for homeless families. [DCist, Post]
- Bowser administration gets tetchy with reporters. [LL]
- The District mulls some cat murder. [City Desk]
- Lawsuit: anti-panhandling law is illegal. [WAMU]
- Metro releases overdue audit. [Post]
- Public schools bring back electives. [Post]
- Courtland Milloy: So now you like heroin addicts! [Post]
- The case for a publicly owned power company. [WAMU]
- Suburbanites weigh in on Bowser anti-crime speech disruption. [Post]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- McDonald’s is finally rolling out all-day breakfast at every location in the country. [Post]
- Five crave-worthy gyros to try around D.C. [Washingtonian]
- Taco and Yucatan chicken restaurant, TACO-ma, coming to Takoma. [PoPville]
- The 10 hottest fast-casual chains in D.C. [Zagat]
- Kaz Sushi Bistro veteran to open Takumi in Falls Church. [NoVa Mag]
- Where to eat ramen around D.C. [Eater]