Get our free newsletter
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
Following a board meeting Thursday where one member declared that he had “absolutely no confidence” in Metro’s safety office, James Dougherty, the agency’s chief of safety, resigned. He’s occupied that role since 2010.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- District officials are investigating the death of a five-month-old asthmatic boy named Trequan, who died Friday in Benning Ridge after the first ambulance dispatched was seven miles away. [NBC Washington]
- A core group of Metro watchers have formed a “Riders’ Union” amid growing safety concerns. [City Desk]
- The BEACH is moving to Dupont Circle and the National Building Museum may need your help. [WTOP]
- Becca DeGregorio has been a D.C. tour guide for four years. How has she made a living off it? [WAMU]
- Take note: Drivers in certain neighborhoods will have to pay to park at meters for extended hours. [WTOP]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Spice World: D.C. is finally starting to crack down on synthetic drug distribution. What took so long?
- Puryear’s Big Year?: A former D.C. Council candidate has made himself one of the mayor’s biggest foes.
- Brie or Bust: D.C. restaurant Sona Creamery has finally opened its creamery (and can now make cheese).
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Eugene Puryear tries Muriel Bowser. [LL]
- Adios, Metro chump. [Post, WBJ, WAMU, WUSA9]
- Deborah Simmons considers synthetic drugs. [Times]
- Consider this case. [Post]
- Get ready for pool time. [DCist]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- Nine can’t-miss food and drink events in September [Zagat]
- ANXO Cidery & Pinxtos will pop up at Union Market on Sept. 12. [PoPville]
- Rito Loco’s new breakfast pupusas are worth waking up for. [Post]
- Where to have brunch on Labor Day Monday [Eater]
- Brixx Wood Fired Pizza plans to open in Clarendon in October. [ARLnow]
- Amsterdam Lounge coming to former Indulj space on U Street NW. [Borderstan]
- What to drink instead of pumpkin beer [DC Beer]