Get our free newsletter
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
On Friday, a man allegedly stabbed a woman in Union Station before a security guard fatally shot him, causing authorities to evacuate the station. Police have identified the man as 57-year-old William Thomas Wilson Jr.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Hillary Clinton spoke Sunday at D.C.’s Foundry United Methodist Church about faith and family. [Post]
- A man charged with killing his stepfather—a D.C. police detective—faces trial today. [NBC Washington]
- Howard University Hospital saw its first profit in months in July after consultants instituted reforms. [WBJ]
- When Pope Francis comes to town next week, he’ll meet with the homeless and poor at St. Patrick’s. [WAMU]
- On Saturday, the D.C. State Fair featured a cannabis contest for the first time in history. [NBC Washington]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Vision Quest: Can the District successfully eliminate traffic fatalities and serious injuries by 2024?
- Who’s Afraid of Trader Joe’s?: Eastern Market vendors aren’t; TJ’s is moving in across the street in 2017.
- But What about the Barrel?: A Logan Circle liquor store is relocating, likely without its iconic barrel.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The District’s first legal marijuana crop is here. [Post]
- Muriel Bowser focuses on Metro shooting suspect’s light treatment after previous shooting. [Post]
- A year in crashes. [WCP]
- Colby King slams DYRS on youth offender data. [Post]
- David Grosso goes on a school lunch listening tour. [Post]
- Jack Evans unhappy with proposed Metro fare increases. [WAMU]
- Rival ed reform plans clash in DCPS, charters. [Post]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- The least douchey bars in D.C. [BYT]
- Eastern Market vendors say they aren’t afraid of Trader Joe’s. [City Desk]
- Mark Bittman says farewell from his column to work at a food startup. [NYTimes]
- Rito Loco has a breakfast burrito stuffed with cheesy shells. [Eater]
- The Riggsby launches new happy hour and Sunday brunch. [Borderstan]
- Restaurants celebrating Rosh Hashanah around D.C. [Washingtonian]
- Tacos for all types [Post]